- Head, Department of Horticulture and Landscape Architecture
- General Manager - Oxnard (CA) USA
- Fruit & vegetables Export - Import manager
- Import-Export senior Sales Agents to Europe - Barcelona, Spain
- Teamleader Agronomist Vertical Farm - Poeldijk, The Netherlands
- Internationaal Verkoper / Trader AGF - Barendrecht
- Greenhouse Installation Specialist
- Greenhouse Assistant Grower - Abbotsford (B.C.) Canada
- QA Officer Retail - Maasdijk
- Manager Seed Technology - Hann. Münden, Germany
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
- “Developing new grow bags for the ever increasing blueberry market”
- First report of tomato brown rugose fruit virus infecting tomato in Germany
- "We can advise in any crop to be micropropagated in a safe way"
- Easy-to-construct greenhouse keeps the cold out and the warmth in
- Plant empowerment and data driven growing enjoys worldwide following
Top 5 -last month
- Advancements in automated commercial scale vertical farming
- Finland: Fully automatic vertical farm demo facility opened
- Mexico: One dead and 10 injured in greenhouse explosion
- "Mushroom growth as an early precursor of what is now vertical farming"
- CAN (BC): "We have discovered the cannabis industry is not quite ready for outsourcing plant propagation"
Netherlands: Two geothermal wells almost done, third in preparation
The start of a new project for T&T van Leeuwen is the first positive news coming from Greenport Venlo. The company, known among others for growing Sweet Lions cherry tomatoes, decided to start expanding last year. The realization of 8 hectares will commence this April. Previously, the Van Leeuwen Brothers stated that geothermal energy makes the location ideal. "We find that the interest among growers is twofold," says Burghout. "On the one hand, they are obviously interested in lowering energy costs. On the other, the cultivation of a sustainable product is very motivating: CO2-free cucumbers or peppers. This attracts the possible attention of consumers."
In horticultural area Californië, three geothermal wells are currently realized. Two of these are made operational in the coming weeks, the third is being prepped for drilling by the end of 2013. "The great thing is that the proceeds of geothermal wells go directly to the growers themselves,” says Burghout. "There is no energy company taking anything away, it belongs to the growers."
Californië does offer support, for example, in the regulations and the technical side of the story. Burghout: "We can guarantee or back up certain ventures. In the following project for instance: two growers, Frank van Lipzig and Roland Gielen, already have a greenhouse and want to start with geothermal energy. But for their 18 hectares an actual well is far too big. We actively participate in the procedures until another grower fills the adjacent plot. We basically want as many growers as possible to benefit from the energy.
Currently, there are 90 hectares of greenhouses in Californië, about thirty ha. is issued but not yet built and about thirty ha. is freely available. To show to growers the potential of the area, the Tour de Chance is held on 21 March: a tour combined with lectures on the area and on sustainable cultivation. Growers wanting to participate in the Tour de Chance can register here.
Publication date :
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2019-01-18 Greenhouse provides Everest adventurers with fresh veggies
- 2019-01-18 US (IN): Exhibition highlights German greenhouse growers of Indianapolis
- 2019-01-18 Cockroaches in the greenhouse
- 2019-01-18 China: Growing strawberries on alkaline soil
- 2019-01-18 Belarus: How cucumbers are grown in winter
- 2019-01-16 Russia: New eggplant facility in Leningrad region
- 2019-01-16 "Smart glass can reduce the energy costs in the glasshouse"
- 2019-01-15 Turkmenistan: 8 ha organic vegetable greenhouse complex launched
- 2019-01-15 New 2 ha greenhouse complex launched in Turkmenistan
- 2019-01-11 Australia: Trial for year-round growing in north Queensland
- 2019-01-11 Black-out screen provides active humidity control
- 2019-01-11 Easy-to-construct greenhouse keeps the cold out and the warmth in
- 2019-01-09 CAN (ON): Aleafia completes Phase One construction and retrofitting of Niagara greenhouse facility
- 2019-01-09 Korean company starts building hydroponic greenhouses in Tajikistan
- 2019-01-09 US (KY): AppHarvest sets sights on Morehead for huge greenhouse
- 2019-01-08 CAN (BC): UBCO plans greenhouse on university-owned farm
- 2019-01-08 CAN (ON): Canopy Rivers secures funding to acquire 1.3 million sq.ft. greenhouse
- 2019-01-08 "Greenhouse kit proves its worth in various climates"
- 2019-01-08 Building a better greenhouse in Belize
- 2019-01-08 Greenhouse facility in Osterwedding has new owner