- Quality Assurance System Manager
- Junior Quality Control Technician
- Regional Sales Manager - Root, Switzerland
- Horticulture Specialist - Guelph (Ontario) Canada
- Technical Director - Brussels, Belgium
- Senior Maintenance Engineer - USA East coast greenhouse facility, location negotiable
- Greenhouse Assistant - Abbotsford (BC) Canada
- Technical Service Manager - remote, US based
- Chief agronomic / Head grower
- Senior Growing (Horticulture) Technician - Australia
Top 5 -yesterday
- "My most important advice is to give yourself a buffer when cultivating"
- Can LEDs affect the taste and smell of vegetables?
- Succesful first harvest of winter-produced greenhouse peppers in Canada
- Modern substrate factory to be built in Papenburg, Germany
- Partnership to bring turnkey hygiene solutions for Mexican and Central-American markets
Top 5 -last week
- New hydroponic plant pot showcased
- "Robot labour will soon be available for passive greenhouse growers too"
- "You now can grow small fruits all over the world"
- "Being able to produce peppers during the winter really piques the imagination"
- French supermarket removes 'tasteless and off season' winter strawberries from the shelves
Top 5 -last month
Finnish gutter system achieves outstanding production numbers
"900 crops of lettuce per square meter, and only 4 laborers per hectare"
The Finnish company Green Automation Export (GAE) has been working on complete mobile gully handling systems for many years. "We are building these systems for a while now and have a background in the production of lettuce ourselves," said Tero Rapila. "My uncle is a lettuce producer and together with him we decided to develop a new kind of system that enables lower labour costs and increases productivity, without the loss of quality."
After brainstorming, designing and redesigning, the first project of this new kind of growing system was built and has been in full production for 2.5 years now. However, GAE deliberately did not immediately shout it from the rooftops. "We first wanted to be sure that everything worked, and of course we wanted to apply some patents for our systems. As usual, that took a lot of time. During this time we further developed the system. Now that we are secure with the patents, we show it to the rest of the world. We can assure growers that they will achieve production numbers as promised by us, because we tested the system thoroughly. They can now have a predictable, reliable harvest, 365 days per year."
Nowadays, GAE can offer two kinds of hydroponic NFT systems. One of them is based on a more traditional method. Tero: "The principle of this growing system dates back to the eighties when the first growers where pioneering with moving gutters in Finland. We further developed these ideas and now we have designed a system that produce 500 crops of lettuce per square meter, per year. But there is still some manual handling involved in this system. First the operator has to take the automatically seeded trays into the germination room and later he has to transplant them into the gutter. So, this system still needs some labor, but even in Scandinavia where the labor costs are not low, this system is still very attractive."
Video of semi-automatic hydroponic lettuce growing system:
According to Tero, the traditional GAE system uses 10 people per hectare, with a yield of 500 crops per hectare, per year. For those who want to go a step ahead, GAE also developed a system that uses even less manual labor. From seeding to harvesting, sorting and packing, this system uses 4 people per hectare and produces 900 crops per square meter, per year. "This system is quite unique and has patents", said Tero. "We are automatically seeding directly into the gutter. Everything is done automatically. The only thing that has to be done manually in the beginning of the process is to fill rockwool substrate and seed cartridges. From then, the whole system is working 2 hours automatically, until It needs a refill."
Video of fully-automatic hydroponic lettuce growing system:
After the crop is ready for harvest, two workers are needed to harvest the crop. The rest goes automatically. The gutters are cleaned by a machine, and the harvested crop will be weighed and (flow)-packed automatically. Here GAE combines the latest packing machinery and techniques developed by other suppliers into their designs.
Tero Rapila from GAE at IPM 2013.
With already two successful projects of this fully automatic system in full production, it is now time for Green Automation Export to show their advanced hydroponic growing systems to the industry. "We showed the system at the Horti Fair and at IPM Essen. The first reactions we got were quite positive and we are already in conversation with some industry leaders. The main reason for their interest is the reliable and predictable harvest and yield. That makes it a remarkable system in an industry where many suppliers are trying to achieve the same."
For more information:
Green Automation Export
+358 44 0404409
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2021-01-20 New Phytotron climate chambers for plant research
- 2021-01-20 Sharjah's eco-domes with indoor growing areas
- 2021-01-19 Partnership to bring turnkey hygiene solutions for Mexican and Central-American markets
- 2021-01-19 Seeds cleaned by activated air
- 2021-01-19 Can LEDs affect the taste and smell of vegetables?
- 2021-01-19 Study on planting media and nutrition concentration lettuce yield
- 2021-01-18 "Installing light abatement wall systems can be especially challenging in poly greenhouses"
- 2021-01-18 Lab-grown fruits
- 2021-01-18 Belgian tomato producer Tomw@tt opts for 8-cylinder gas engine
- 2021-01-15 "Being able to produce peppers during the winter really piques the imagination"
- 2021-01-15 "Here because of you"
- 2021-01-15 Hidroexpo feasibility to improve pepper yields
- 2021-01-15 Innovation industries invest in new optical spectroscopy start-up
- 2021-01-15 Kenya: AI-powered machine vision system rends farmers more predictability
- 2021-01-14 Community group buying has brought Big Tech disruption to China’s smaller cities
- 2021-01-14 New study on LED lighting strategies in eggplants
- 2021-01-14 "Robot labour will soon be available for passive greenhouse growers too"
- 2021-01-13 New hydroponic plant pot showcased
- 2021-01-13 Taiwan-based company combines LEDs with AI for energy efficiency
- 2021-01-13 Smart farming supply chains could decrease food wastage by 50%
Please advise cost for a medium size hydroponic lettuces
full system details is much appreciated.
Ghazi qadoum, amman - 2015/10/29 11:02:16.000
How much it costs to set up a strawberry hydroponics farm? And am planning to start a commercial farm so please guide me
sharath, banglore - 2015/03/12 10:39:23.000
We are planning to build Hydrophonice facilities through-out the US
Wayne Gerl, Palm Beach, Fl - 2014/10/23 00:11:59.000
As developers were planning Hydrophonics Facilities through-out the USA
wayne gerl, Palm Beach FL - 2014/10/23 00:15:19.000