Job offersmore »
- Engineer support in agricultural sciences - Switzerland
- Farm Manager - Perth, Western Australia
- Expansion manager
- Horticultural Specialist - Emeryville (CA) USA
- Sales Manager Europe Division
- Grower - Delta, (OH) USA
- Export Sales - Perth, Australia
- Production Manager Indonesia - Magelang/Central Java, Indonesia
- Director ASIA Research Station Operations - Bangkok, Thailand
- Spécialiste Technique et commercial Biocontrôle pour l’Ouest de la France
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Company: Ball Australia
Region: Victoria, Australia
Growing Manager, location Victoria, Australia
A challenging and critical position within an ambitious and modern top player in its field in the world.
Our client Ball Australia is a leading supplier of starter plant material to wholesale nurseries, i.e. quality seed and vegetative lines for flowers, vegetables, herbs, cut flowers and tissue culture. The company is part of Ball Horticultural Company based in the USA, present in over 20 countries.
Ball Australia is based 50 kms. from Melbourne on a 40 acre site in Skye, Victoria and operates environmentally controlled glass-/greenhouses, an automated production facility and state of the art dispatch systems.
The position and its responsibilities
You report to the Managing Director and you are part of the Ball Australia Leadership team. The Leadership team is expected to adopt a continuous improvement strategy, as well as manage and motivate staff. Your span of control as a Growing Manager is a Growing team of 15 people.
Your key responsibility is the co-ordination and overall management of the growing activities of Ball Australia and ensuring that the company’s high standards are met. This includes implementing and/or maintaining the following aspects:
- Determine quality control check points and continuous review.
- Research growing protocols for new crops and implement these into the production processes.
- Conduct trials on new chemicals and methods prior to implementing these into regular production.
- Oversee and manage quarantine greenhouse, and all procedures to comply with quarantine regulations.
- Respond to all Bio-Security issues as required.
- Enhance and update Bio-Security information and reports.
The Growing Manager position implies an expectation of longer work hours, especially during peak times and the need to work in hot temperatures over the Australian summer.
To manage the positions’ responsibilities well, candidates need to meet the following requirements:
- A relevant academic qualification at min. a BSc. or MSc. level or equivalent. (E.g. Horticulture, Plant Sciences, Plant Physiology, Green-/Glasshouse crop management etc.)
- Proven experience in a similar role, with positive references.
- Knowledge of the product, methods, processes and the market concerned is preferred.
- Technical expertise in the following fields:
- Irrigation management
- Nutrition management
- Climate control systems
- Pesticides and growth regulators
- Mother stock maintenance
- The ability to apply previously acquired knowledge and experience to the Growing Manager role.
- An analytical and creative mindset and the ability to implement change and solve problems.
- A proven people manager and motivator, who can provide leadership in a hands-on, ‘can-do’ company culture.
- Understanding of customers and their needs
- Willing to work and live in Australia for a minimum number of years.
- Candidates with a relevant background in the management of production of ornamental-, as well as vegetable crops are requested to respond.
The application for a working- /residence permit in Australia (in co-op with Ball Australia) is part of the procedure.
An indefinite contract with an attractive salary & benefits package above market level incl. a bonus package
Outside Australia, Lutgo Recruitment is the representative of Ball Australia for the fulfillment of this position. Direct candidate applications to the company Ball will be referred to Lutgo for further handling. If you are interested, please react! Do you need more information? Contact Jan Meijer, tel. +31 (0)6 2245 8832 or email@example.com