Job offersmore »
- Sales Manager Pacific - Roermond
- Production Manager - Badajoz, Spain
- General Manager - Ethiopia
- Cultivation Manager - Ethiopia
- General Manager: Saudi Greenhouses Management & Agri Marketing Co.
- Plant Specialist with focus on Ornamentals & young plants - Netherlands
- Plant Specialist with focus on Cityfarming - Netherlands
- Head Grower Soft Fruit, USA or Spain/Portugal
- Research & Knowledge Transfer Manager - United Kingdom
- Greenhouse Grower - Ontario, Canada
Last commentsmore »
- Tiger Lily heights controlled with flurprimidol preplant bulb soaks (228)
- Canada: New loans and grants will help greenhouses access cheaper energy (32)
- Uganda: Greenhouse gives veg grower better yields, more cash (8)
- Bahrain: "Big potential for horticulture, but you will need the right people and the best technology" (2)
- Geothermal Energy – a solution to the greenhouse industry (1)
- Dutch company provide jobs in Ethiopian flower industry (1)
- AU: Medical marijuana grown on Norfolk Island (1)
- Could solar-powered floating farms provide enough food for the entire world? (1)
- Australia: Learn to operate a Priva computer in just 1 day (1)
- Turkey: Umbrella greenhouse idea for developing countries (4)
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
- Photo Report: Lufa Farms weekly ships 5,000 baskets with rooftop produce
- Asia: Record breaking yields for ‘Take Me Home Tomatoes’ in Thailand
- Cityblooms installs soliculture’s new breed of solar panels
- "Combination of Syngenta and Monsanto would accelerate technological innovation"
- CAAS: A closer look at the efficiency of China's immense greenhouse industry
Exchange ratesmore »
Maarten Verhaegen: "Price of butter lettuce now lightly pressured"
BelOrta sees area shift from butter lettuce to alternative varietiesLettuce and alternative lettuce varieties are available at BelOrta all year round. This was said by Maarten Verhaegen, Sales supervisor. He indicates that as a cooperation they have a diverse lettuce assortment. "Lettuce is one of our bigger products. The price is under light pressure at the moment. It has been better, as despite the frost the demand was good. For the heavier 400 to 450 gram lettuce around 60 cents was paid. The most important buyers of this product are Germany and the Belgian supermarkets."
Shift to alternative lettuce varieties
He indicates that the area of lettuce hasn't grown in the last few years. "We have reached the point at which the production stagnates. There is a large shift to alternative lettuce varieties such as Lollo Rosso, Lollo Bionda and Oak leaf lettuce visible. The prices of these lettuce varieties are higher than that of cabbage lettuce and are lighter in weight. This makes it and interesting cultivation for growers. The Bionda's are now at a price level of 70 to 75 cents for the heavier weights. In the winter the prices for lettuce are higher on average. It has to be, as there are more costs. I expect the prices to remain stable for the next two weeks."
Maarten sees and increase in the switch to alternative lettuce varieties in the future. "These varieties have huge potential. What's becoming increasingly popular is the lettuce variety with root ball. The big advantage of these is that they have a longer shelf life. The consumer can put them away for week, no problem. There are standard varieties available with root ball, but we also have multicolour. This is for the three varieties Eikeblad, Rosso and Bionda in one (kluit)(root ball?). Growing these varieties is more intensive and precise work. They are all grown on water and ecologies and sustainability are a priority."
The contact point for alternative lettuce at BelOrta is:
Kelly Van Dessel.
Supervisor verkoop BelOrta
Tel: 0031 15/565 293
For more information:
2860 St-Katelijne-Waver, België
Telefoon: +32 15 55 11 11
Telefax: +32 15 55 06 01
Publication date: 2/4/2013
Other news in this sector:
Leave a comment: (max. 500 characters)
- All comments which are not related to the article contents will be removed.
- All comments with non-related commercial content, will be removed.
- All comments with offensive language, will be removed.