Job offersmore »
- Operations Manager / COO Vegetable Greenhouse - Romania
- Head Grower - Neerabup (Wanneroo), Australia
- Lead Grower - Clyde and Deavon Meadows in Victoria, Australia
- Greenhouse Technical Sales- USA & Western Canada
- Sales manager - Latin America
- Senior VP Operations – California
- Grower/ Farm Manager - Australia
- Senior Grower - Australia
- Quality and Compliance Manager - Cambridgeshire, UK
- Betriebsleiter - Switzerland
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
grower of local produce generates $2 million in annual sales, owns 27 greenhouses
US (TX): Bluebonnet Hydroponic Farms expands operationsBluebonnet Hydroponic Farms was started with the purchase of used greenhouses and a 2.5-acre parcel outside San Antonio, TX. The farm,owned by the Anderson family, tested out various crops to see what could grow well on the property and eventually decided to grow lettuces, herbs and microgreens. As the business started to take off, the farm began selling to various supermarkets such as HED, Whole Foods and Kroger’s. The farm also sells to local chefs.
Since the farm’s inception, the Andersons have purchased additional land and now have 27 greenhouses. Currently, the couple is converting six greenhouses to grow more Bibb lettuce to sell to supermarkets.
“We had three greenhouses up and running with Bibb, but that wasn’t enough (to meet demand),” David said.
Currently, Bluebonnet generates $2 million in annual sales. The farm remains a family endeavor, and now employs 15 people, who help seed and harvest weekly.
Click here for a complete interview with Bluebonnet Hydroponic Farms at Seedstock.com
Publication date: 11/5/2013
Other news in this sector: