Job offersmore »
- Account Manager Propagation - Roermond, The Netherlands
- Service & Help Desk Technician - North America
- Cucumber/ Tomato Agronomical Consultant - Armenia
- Supervisors - North America
- Account Manager / Product Specialist open field crops - Murcia Spain
- Account Manager - Netherlands
- Commercial Manager - The Netherlands
- Sales person - Netherlands
- Grower Manager - Australia
- Production Manager - Australia
Top 5 - yesterday
- Photo Report: Visit to Berkel Greenhouses Inc. in Simcoe
- LED lighting can significantly reduce greenhouse horticulture energy consumption
- First Turkish grower is using the Agrifast Tom System
- See you in Mexico at Expo Agroalimentaria?!
- Australia: Fast tracked planning approvals for 10 major Geelong projects, including giant sustainable farm
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
grower of local produce generates $2 million in annual sales, owns 27 greenhouses
US (TX): Bluebonnet Hydroponic Farms expands operationsBluebonnet Hydroponic Farms was started with the purchase of used greenhouses and a 2.5-acre parcel outside San Antonio, TX. The farm,owned by the Anderson family, tested out various crops to see what could grow well on the property and eventually decided to grow lettuces, herbs and microgreens. As the business started to take off, the farm began selling to various supermarkets such as HED, Whole Foods and Krogerís. The farm also sells to local chefs.
Since the farmís inception, the Andersons have purchased additional land and now have 27 greenhouses. Currently, the couple is converting six greenhouses to grow more Bibb lettuce to sell to supermarkets.
ďWe had three greenhouses up and running with Bibb, but that wasnít enough (to meet demand),Ē David said.
Currently, Bluebonnet generates $2 million in annual sales. The farm remains a family endeavor, and now employs 15 people, who help seed and harvest weekly.
Click here for a complete interview with Bluebonnet Hydroponic Farms at Seedstock.com
Publication date: 11/5/2013
Other news in this sector:
Leave a comment: (max. 500 characters)
- All comments which are not related to the article contents will be removed.
- All comments with non-related commercial content, will be removed.
- All comments with offensive language, will be removed.