Job offersmore »
- Hydroponic Crop Manager - Tahiti
- Manager Operational Excellence - El Salvador
- Area Manager North Europe - The Netherlands
- Senior Veredelaar Bloemen
- Consultant - Head of Sales or Greenhouse Owner
- Consultant - Head Grower of Greenhouse
- IPM Manager - Mona (Utah) USA
- Labor Manager - Mona (Utah) USA
- Assistant Farm Manager - Australia
- New Product Development Assistant Manager
Top 5 - yesterday
- Hyper-local cultivation: Restaurant integrates aquaponics greenhouse
- Can artificial intelligence do as well as farmers in the future?
- US (WI): 20 hectare greenhouse operation to begin next spring
- Village Farms reports net loss, cannabis production ramps up
- German market demands innovation in cherry plum truss tomatoes
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Creation of spinach varieties
France: Vilmorin-Mikado acquires Danish seed company Advanseed
Vilmorin - Mikado (a Business Unit of Limagrain) and Limagrain (through its holding company Vilmorin & Cie) have announced the acquisition of AdvanSeed ApS, a Danish seed company with an international operational presence. Its recognised expertise in the creation of spinach varieties serves to reinforce Vilmorin - Mikado's global position in the leafy vegetables market, given the importance of spinach representing the second largest global market segment after lettuce.
Established in 2005 by Erling Hegelund, breeder, and Cecilia Cerda, agronomist, the company AdvanSeed has developed an international network of distributors, and long - term relationships with clients and customers across 23 countries (mainly in Asia, the Middle East, South America and Europe). Its portfolio includes a range of varieties of hybrid spinach and other leafy vegetables (shoot types such as wild arugula, kale, red veined beetroot or amaranth). In 2017 - 2018, AdvanSeed thus generated a turnover of around 3 million euros.
"Vilmorin - Mikado has taken a decisive leap forward in developing its offering of leafy vegetables with the integration of this new species. The Spinach line therefore serves to reinforce our position as a major world player in this market," explains Catherine Moulenat, Head of the Marketing Group for Leafy Vegetables." This new species enables us to effectively position our range in the Asian market, particularly in China, which accounts for 85% of the fresh spinach market in terms of area under cultivation."
Fulla F1, hybrid spinach, one of the AdvanSeed varieties
"In joining the Vilmorin - Mikado teams as of 1 August 2018, AdvanSeed's team of 5 bring their collective know - how and expertise to be shared with all departments within the company," reiterates Rodolphe Millet, Chief Executive Officer of Vilmorin - Mikado. The company's breeding station, based in Odense (Denmark), is geographically ideally suited to the research and production of new spinach varieties. Its location making it the northernmost among Vilmorin - Mikado stations, it offers unique new climatic conditions and opportunities for the creation of novel varieties.
For more information:
Route du Manoir
49250 La Ménitré
Publication date: 8/9/2018
Other news in this sector: