Job offersmore »
- Account Manager European Countries
- Business Operations Manager - Guyra, Australia
- Export Commercial Assistant - Barcelona, Spain
- Farm Construction Manager - Phoenix (AZ) USA
- Lemon/Citrus Packing-house Manager - Phoenix (AZ) USA
- Account-Manager - Wickede/Ruhr, Germany
- Grower for pot plant production - Tönisvorst - Germany
- Assistant Grower & Growers - Ohio, USA
- Fruit & vegetables Export-Import manager - Avignon or Perpignan, France
- Area Manager North Europe - Netherlands
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news has been published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Dutch government wants more Caribbean greenhouses
The Dutch government wants to increase the social security of the Caribbean Netherlands. One of the ways in which it aims to achieve this, is by expanding the school greenhouse project from Bonaire to Saba and St. Eustatius. This is apparent from a reaction from the government to the survey on social security in the Caribbean Netherlands.
Almost all daily food products in the Caribbean Netherlands are imported, which means that the area is subject to high import costs. The Ministry of Agriculture, Nature and Food Quality (LNV) wants to assist the islands to strengthen the agricultural and horticultural sector and facilitate trade in agricultural products. The aim is to make the islands eventually self-sufficient.
Rural development program
The local production of fruit and vegetables has the advantage that it reduces the need for import, but it can also contribute to the health of the population and promote employment opportunities. The first steps have been taken with a (school) greenhouse project on Bonaire. Also in the context of a Rural Development Program a manual has been drawn up, in which cultivation knowledge is shared.
The government is of the opinion that Bonaire can do even more to make these projects a success. Further consultations on this topic will still be held.
Publication date: 7/6/2018
Other news in this sector: