Job offersmore »
- Account Manager European Countries
- Business Operations Manager - Guyra, Australia
- Export Commercial Assistant - Barcelona, Spain
- Farm Construction Manager - Phoenix (AZ) USA
- Lemon/Citrus Packing-house Manager - Phoenix (AZ) USA
- Account-Manager - Wickede/Ruhr, Germany
- Grower for pot plant production - Tönisvorst - Germany
- Assistant Grower & Growers - Ohio, USA
- Fruit & vegetables Export-Import manager - Avignon or Perpignan, France
- Area Manager North Europe - Netherlands
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news has been published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Uganda: Growers reap big from healthy seedlingsKamu Kalanzi is a vegetable farmer in Zirobwe, Luwero district (Uganda). He has been growing green pepper for over six years.
From the time he started growing vegetables, Kalanzi has always raised his own seedlings, which he grows in a nursery bed before transplanting them to the garden.
For the first two years, however, the yields were not impressive despite Kalanzi’s efforts. His vegetables often suffered attacks from pests and diseases. He almost gave up on farming as a result.
However, 2016 marked a turning point for Kalanzi and other farmers who were trained by Volunteers Effort for Development Concern (VEDCO) on the use of healthy seedlings.
VEDCO is implementing the Health Seedlings for Safe and more Productive Vegetables in East Africa project in Luwero, Mukono and Mityana districts. The project was funded by Austrian Development Agency (ADA).
Publication date: 7/5/2018
Other news in this sector: