Job offersmore »
- Account Manager European Countries
- Business Operations Manager - Guyra, Australia
- Export Commercial Assistant - Barcelona, Spain
- Farm Construction Manager - Phoenix (AZ) USA
- Lemon/Citrus Packing-house Manager - Phoenix (AZ) USA
- Account-Manager - Wickede/Ruhr, Germany
- Grower for pot plant production - Tönisvorst - Germany
- Assistant Grower & Growers - Ohio, USA
- Fruit & vegetables Export-Import manager - Avignon or Perpignan, France
- Area Manager North Europe - Netherlands
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news has been published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
US (ME): New greenhouse business opens in GreenvilleLately there’s been a lot of good news about young people moving to Maine to start a new business and a new life, all the while being engaged in their local community. Such is the case with Backwoods Harvest Company, a family organization who bought the former Autumn Brook Farm on East Road in Greenville.
Managing Partner Deven Cooley and his business partner (Gerard O’Neill) had been up bear hunting on the KI Road a couple of years ago and noticed a “For Sale” sign on the farm as they drove by. They decided that this would be a wonderful opportunity to start a business in Maine in an area they loved. “When I saw the sign, I thought, wow this is a gorgeous piece of property,” Cooley said. “And, it’s so beautiful up here! You just can’t beat it.”
Deven, Gerard and family members talked at length about it and decided to take the plunge moving the entire family to Greenville. They spent the winter and early spring getting things fixed up and ready for opening. It was a lot of work fixing up the rundown greenhouses and store front as well as starting everything from seed, as opposed to buying plant plugs from other nurseries.
Next year they plan to add another greenhouse for perennials and an additional one for early produce. “We are delighted that the local grocery store as well as local inns use our fresh, organic vegetables,” said Cooley. “So we plan to expand on that.”
Publication date: 6/28/2018
Other news in this sector: