- Flower Bulb and Perennial Sales Position - Portland (Oregon) USA
- Plant Production Scientist - Brooklyn (NY) USA
- Greenhouse Assistant Grower - Abbotsford (B.C.) Canada
- Technical Sales Representative - South Western Ontario, Canada
- Farm Manager - West Africa
- Managing Agronomist - Surinam
- Vegetal Material Programme Leader - Cisterna di Latina (Latium), Italy
- Head of Sales North America - Sacramento (CA) USA
- Inkoop Specialist Holland Product - Netherlands
- Vegetable Grower - Australia
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last month
Top 5 -last week
Spain: Desalinated water to irrigate Almería greenhouses
Their main conclusion has been that it is profitable to use desalinated water for irrigation in greenhouses since it has caused increases in production, also improving the uniformity in the quality parameters of crops.
For decades, the Almería greenhouses have been the true engine for socio-economic and demographic development in many of its areas. Annually the 31,000 hectares of greenhouses produce more than 3 million tons of fruits and vegetables, generating a value of almost €2 billion; more than 76% of the production is exported.
The Almería model is a success story that, nevertheless, presents three pressing problems: downward pressure on prices, water and waste management.
The current study focused on the water problem in one of the most arid regions of Europe.
The efficiency in water use is high in the greenhouse area but however the average annual consumption per hectare is close to 5,000 cubic meters, of which 80% come from the subsoil; this causes an annual water deficit of 170 cubic hectometers. There has been a pressure on water resources causing problems of noticeable lowering of the water table and aquifers salinization.
The sustainability of the province water resources goes through the use of desalinated, reclaimed and runoff water.
Of these thee water sources, considering the available volume in Almería, desalinated seawater stands out. Almería has two desalination plants, one in Carboneras, with annual distribution capacity of 42 cubic hectometers, and the other in Campo de Dalías, with 30.1 cubic hectometers.
The main objective of the study was to analyze the differences in agronomic and economic productivity with the promised results above cited.
For an extended use of desalinated seawater, the authors indicated that the main problems lies in its price, which is 0.53 €/cubic meter. They consider 0.30 €/cubic meter a reasonable price.
Energy consumption is the main factor that contributes to such a high price of water. The study’s authors believe that, with technological improvement and the inclusion of renewable energies, the energy consumption for desalination can be considerably reduced.
Source: agronegocios.es / www.agroberichtenbuitenland.nl
Publication date :
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 09/25/2018 Russia: New greenhouse complex comes to Voronezh in 2020
- 09/25/2018 US (GA): KSU farm to install growing system, expand crop production
- 09/25/2018 "The Emirates are an extremely attractive market"
- 09/25/2018 Second greenhouse heated by cryptocurrency mining
- 09/24/2018 US (LA): Acadiana Native Plant Project dedicates greenhouse to late founder
- 09/24/2018 US (MD): South Mountain MicroFARM increases lettuce yield by 60% and microgreens yield by 10%
- 09/24/2018 Russia: 12.5 ha greenhouse complex to be built in Sayansk
- 09/24/2018 CAN (BC): Supreme Court gives go-ahead to Richmond MMJ greenhouse
- 09/21/2018 Turkey: Greenhouse investments continue in Erzincan
- 09/21/2018 Russia: 10 ha climate-controlled greenhouse completed in Siberia
- 09/20/2018 US (FL): First harvest approaching for hydroponic hops greenhouse
- 09/20/2018 Russia: Agro-Invest started fifth phase of greenhouse construction in Kaluga
- 09/20/2018 Official opening Rijk Zwaan greenhouse in Tanzania
- 09/20/2018 Getting the most out of your greenhouse poly
- 09/20/2018 How to achieve ideal environmental control in your greenhouse
- 09/19/2018 Greenhouses boost nutrition in Bolivia
- 09/18/2018 Germany: Wittingen gets first joint Food & Energy facility
- 09/18/2018 Korean company builds aquaponic greenhouse in Kazakhstan
- 09/18/2018 US: Greenhouse atop SEH accommodates unorthodox student experiments
- 09/18/2018 Russia: 11 ha greenhouse under construction in Kuban