Job offersmore »
- Engineer support in agricultural sciences - Switzerland
- Farm Manager - Perth, Western Australia
- Expansion manager
- Horticultural Specialist - Emeryville (CA) USA
- Sales Manager Europe Division
- Grower - Delta, (OH) USA
- Export Sales - Perth, Australia
- Production Manager Indonesia - Magelang/Central Java, Indonesia
- Director ASIA Research Station Operations - Bangkok, Thailand
- Spécialiste Technique et commercial Biocontrôle pour l’Ouest de la France
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news has been published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
US (OH): Lettuce Heads puts a fresh spin on vegetablesFifth generation farmers, and cousins, Kurk and Nicholas Ziegler knew they wanted to get back to their roots when they started Lettuce Heads in Lorain County.
The pair grew up on a 600-acre traditional crop and swine farm, operated by their fathers, Kevin and Ken Ziegler, who are also part owners in the operation.
After reading an article on aquaponics, Nick’s father, Ken, pointed them in the direction of this new venture.
“We took a tour of an aquaponics facility and thought it was really neat, so at the end of 2014, we bought a greenhouse,” said Kurk.
It was one of the coldest winters in Ohio’s history when the Zieglers started construction on their new aquaponics facility.
“We built everything by hand,” said Nick, who added they recycled old storage tanks from the farm to use as the fish tanks, built six raised beds and, with the help of their fathers, plumbed and ran electric to the facility.
Publication date: 6/8/2018
Other news in this sector: