Job offersmore »
- Engineer support in agricultural sciences - Switzerland
- Farm Manager - Perth, Western Australia
- Expansion manager
- Horticultural Specialist - Emeryville (CA) USA
- Sales Manager Europe Division
- Grower - Delta, (OH) USA
- Export Sales - Perth, Australia
- Production Manager Indonesia - Magelang/Central Java, Indonesia
- Director ASIA Research Station Operations - Bangkok, Thailand
- Spécialiste Technique et commercial Biocontrôle pour l’Ouest de la France
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news has been published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
CAN (YT): Off-grid hydroponics to improve Northern food securityA Whitehorse solar energy company is expanding its business to include hydroponic farming.
Solvest has partnered with Cropbox, an American company that refurbishes shipping containers to grow produce.
A container now on the Solvest compound is for demonstration only, and not equipped with the features needed to grow produce in temperatures as cold as –50 C. The company is monitoring the container's energy consumption without arctic features to compare to the energy it will use once the features are added in the fall.
Solvest has created a second container to power the Cropbox off-grid using a combination of solar panels, batteries and diesel fuel.
"That allows a remote diesel community to operate this ... and not stress the local grid," said Power. "If you don't have that power box in a remote setting you may be solving one problem of food security and adding to another problem of diesel consumption in a community."
Publication date: 6/4/2018
Other news in this sector: