Researchers are encouraged to submit proposals for research in the areas of horticultural marketing and consumer purchasing practices, pest and disease management and control, and sustainable production and environmental resource management. Projects may include, but are not limited to:
- Research that expands the market for plant material;
- Research that increases crop producers’ business and financial expertise;
- Environmentally responsible management practices;
- Radio frequency identification (RFID) in crop production systems; and
- Regulatory issues and emerging opportunities in the horticulture industry.
Grant awards typically range from $5,000 to $35,000. The Horticultural Research Institute encourages investigators to seek out matching funds as part of the proposal application process, although matching funds are not required.
The grant application and procedural guidelines are available on the Horticultural Research Institute website at www.HRIResearch.org.