- Flower Bulb and Perennial Sales Position - Portland (Oregon) USA
- Plant Production Scientist - Brooklyn (NY) USA
- Greenhouse Assistant Grower - Abbotsford (B.C.) Canada
- Technical Sales Representative - South Western Ontario, Canada
- Farm Manager - West Africa
- Managing Agronomist - Surinam
- Vegetal Material Programme Leader - Cisterna di Latina (Latium), Italy
- Head of Sales North America - Sacramento (CA) USA
- Inkoop Specialist Holland Product - Netherlands
- Vegetable Grower - Australia
Top 5 -yesterday
- Czech scientists make progress in microscopic examination of plants
- Strawberry sabotage in Australia has widespread consequences
- Benson Hill Biosystems raises $60 million to improve food and ingredients
- "Asian markets still open"
- US (CA): Turnkey automated cultivation systems for the cannabis industry
Top 5 -last month
Top 5 -last week
- US (VA): Year-round greenhouse draws tourists' attention to family farm
- "More sustainable crops just a spray away"
- Nuffield Zimbabwe seeking applicants for 2019 scholarships
- Australian tomato grower goes from strength to strength using latest technology
- Turkey: Greenhouse pioneer stirs up economic activity in Siirt
Scottish soft-fruit sector growth needs solid labour scheme
Porter, NFU Scotland’s soft fruit chairman, said the business had enough workers at this stage of the season. However, he expected to be 15% short of requirements by August and EU labour would not be enough to meet demand. “We urgently need a seasonal workers scheme which will apply to people from outside the EU, because the weakness of the pound no longer makes working in the UK such an attractive option,” he said. “There are already Ukrainians working in Germany and hundreds of thousands of them in Poland where there’s not a minimum wage. We have a national minimum wage and we used to get a lot of Ukrainian students. We know they’re willing to come here.”
Secretary Ewing toured the fruit tunnels. The soft fruit sector contributes an estimated £134 million to the economy. Speaking after the meeting, he said that the industry’s growth was at risk from Brexit due to the prospect of barriers to trade and labour being introduced.
Mr Ewing added that he had pressed the UK Government on the need for a seasonal workers scheme at his last two meetings with Environment Secretary Michael Gove. Pressandjournal.co.uk further quoted him as saying: “The UK Government could end this ongoing uncertainty by committing to remaining in the EU single market and customs union – a position the Scottish Government has continually argued for since the referendum. Such a position would demonstrate to seasonal workers that Scotland, and the whole of the UK, remains an open and welcoming place to live and work.”
Publication date :
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 09/17/2018 Bejo introduces new sustainable seed coating
- 09/12/2018 Turkey: Turkish tomato growers drop the use of American seeds
- 09/10/2018 When should I remove the coating?
- 09/10/2018 Which film suits your tomato planting the best?
- 09/06/2018 UK fruit and veg growers can employ up to 2,500 migrants per year
- 09/05/2018 Levy-funded project creates online greenhouse toolbox for veg growers
- 09/04/2018 "LEDs bring the harvest of strawberries forward"
- 09/03/2018 "Intelligent Sprayer: commercialization approved"
- 09/03/2018 Increasing lettuce coloration with LEDs
- 08/22/2018 Kenya: Retired chemist grows vegetable seedlings for money
- 08/20/2018 "Compostable twine holds up well in the stress of hot summers"
- 08/09/2018 France: Vilmorin-Mikado acquires Danish seed company Advanseed
- 07/19/2018 Russia: URALCHEM gets 4.3 million USD for environmental projects
- 07/10/2018 "Horticulture in Syria is growing"
- 07/09/2018 “Biodegradable materials will become the standard”
- 07/05/2018 Pakistan: Punjab government makes plans to sell seed kits
- 07/03/2018 Busy days for greenhouse suppliers in Russia
- 06/29/2018 Italy: Verisem Distribution acquires Franchi Sementi
- 06/28/2018 Philippines: Seed supplier targets growing urban farming market
- 06/28/2018 UK: Vegetable seed quality, storage and handling