- Flower Bulb and Perennial Sales Position - Portland (Oregon) USA
- Plant Production Scientist - Brooklyn (NY) USA
- Greenhouse Assistant Grower - Abbotsford (B.C.) Canada
- Technical Sales Representative - South Western Ontario, Canada
- Farm Manager - West Africa
- Managing Agronomist - Surinam
- Vegetal Material Programme Leader - Cisterna di Latina (Latium), Italy
- Head of Sales North America - Sacramento (CA) USA
- Inkoop Specialist Holland Product - Netherlands
- Vegetable Grower - Australia
Top 5 -yesterday
- How to achieve ideal environmental control in your greenhouse
- US (CA): Cannabis cultivation facility expands beyond original scope
- Russia: Agro-Invest started fifth phase of greenhouse construction in Kaluga
- USDA awards CLEDA $294,286 farmers market grant
- US (CA): Grower roundtable keynote presentation announced for Organic Grower Summit
Top 5 -last month
- CAN (ON): Hot weather causing lower yields of field-grown peppers
- US (PA): Tomatoes are a matter of taste
- US (MA): NGCE sessions on starting hydroponic leafy greens production
- Australia: Investment boosts disease-resistant crop technology
- Top Cleaner contributes to high quality seed at Rijk Zwaan ProMex
Top 5 -last week
Russia: Symposium focuses on greenhouse tomato production
The theme of this year was related to “Modern Technologies and their application in the producing and sales of glasshouse products on the Russian market with focus on tomatoes”.
Group picture of some of the participants
The symposium was started by one the Heads of Agrosemcenter, Mrs Irina Murashova and by Monsanto EMEA Vegetables Technical Development Lead, Mr. Joost van Regteren.
Joost van Regteren of the Technical Development team sharing info about data collection
After that, Mrs N. Rogova, General Director of the Association “Glasshouses of Russia” gave a presentation about the enormous growth of this market.
Not only the acreage increase was impressive but also the high market share of artificially lighted crop.
The result was that within 5 years the tomato import decreased from 81% (2013) towards 39% (2017).
This clear overview was followed by a presentation from Mr. J.C. Schneider (independent advisor). He explained in a very pragmatic way, based on facts and reliable calculations, the level of artificial light you need in winter time to produce 1 large truss tomato (Merlice), 1 kg beef tomato (Torero) and 1 truss of cherry tomatoes (Juanita) with the best specifications.
He also explained that growers and advisors need, next to good varieties, also additional data and services to optimize the crop performance.
One of the other highlights was the presentation “The bright taste of a real tomato is a new trend of glasshouse production" by Monsanto Vegetables EMEA Solanaceous Breeding Lead, Mr. VK Kishore.
VK Kishore explained the flavor strategy within De Ruiter and Seminis tomato assortment
He explained clearly the different techniques you need to improve flavor and appearance on such a way that it is recognizable on the consumer level.
Nico van Vliet, Monsanto Vegetables Trade Partnership Manager, shared several trends and best practices about several segments in tomato.
Nico van Vliet sharing trends and trade partnership experiences
The audience appreciated the story-telling around the high sustainability level of large truss tomato Merlice and newcomer Sevance, which will help retailers as well in their category management positioning.
Merlice (spelled in Russian) was part of the Agrosemcenter market
During the afternoon there was a lot of time reserved for a panel discussion with representatives of supermarket chains, traders and intermediary companies hosted by moderator S. Shubin, director of the Eurasian Business Union.
The panel discussion about the way of trading now and in future
The visitors were impressed about the high level of knowledge sharing and willingness to collaborate.
For Agrosemcenter it was clear that they will continue in this futuristic direction.
For more information:
Publication date :
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 09/21/2018 Experts from around the world will present the most innovative fertigation techniques
- 09/21/2018 Sustainability in agriculture: the Mater-Bi mulching film at Agricultural Film 2018
- 09/20/2018 US (CA): Grower roundtable keynote presentation announced for Organic Grower Summit
- 09/20/2018 Designing aquaponic systems for the developing world
- 09/20/2018 Australia: Sustainable agriculture in the spotlight at GFIA In Focus
- 09/19/2018 FPAA to hold first ever women’s leadership invitational
- 09/19/2018 US (IN): How agriculture technologies can be scaled up to save lives
- 09/19/2018 Grower roundtable keynote presentation announced for OGS 2018
- 09/18/2018 It's all about sustainable urban planning at IPM Dubai 2018
- 09/17/2018 UK: Growing media developments in soft fruit propagation
- 09/17/2018 Higher than expected turnout at Rijk Zwaan open day
- 09/17/2018 Summer School Greenhouse Horticulture #SSGH18
- 09/17/2018 UK: Brassicas and Leafy Salads Conference
- 09/17/2018 ”Fresh Business Expo proven to be effective platform for Ukraine's fresh produce industry”
- 09/14/2018 Wanted: Future proof vegetable producers
- 09/13/2018 Flemish Minister completes internship at Antwerp tomato company
- 09/13/2018 US (NY): Sustainability symposium to focus on biological products
- 09/13/2018 Artificial intelligence & automation highlighted at the 2018 CGC
- 09/13/2018 US: 2018 Virginia Smart Farming Conference postponed
- 09/13/2018 UK: David Domoney opens 2018 CIH Conference