Job offersmore »
- Managing Grower - Australia
- Senior Grower - Talbotville, Ontario, Canada
- Operations Manager - Fresh Produce
- Senior Account Manager Retail - Netherlands
- Supply Allocation and Inventory Manager - Fresh Produce, Italy
- Senior Grower - Katunga, Australia
- Key Account Manager - Netherlands
- Accountmanager aardappelinkoop België / Frankrijk
- International Retail Manager - Netherlands
- Quality Assurance Team EA Region -Antwerp- Quality Supervisor, Belgium
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
- "We are now the only people producing the tubers hydroponically"
- Oxygen level in water: an underestimated factor in plant growth
- Bitcoin mining powers tomato greenhouse
- How the rise of Amazon will urge you to create a brand in fresh produce
- UV light provides novel method to improve crop performance and yield
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
CAN (ON): Proplant Propagation Services under new ownershipWith a busy winter season successfully behind them, the new ownership group of Proplant Propagation Services have deemed it a successful first season of greenhouse vegetable propagation.
With over five generations and more than 100 years of family involvement in the horticulture industry, the Berkel family has kept their passion for the horticulture industry alive with the recent acquisition of Proplant Propagation Services. Brothers Ted and Don Berkel, who have been growing on their family run greenhouse operation in Simcoe, Ontario for over thirty years, were approached by their sons Mike, Paul, and Drew, on how to push forward into the next generation of greenhouse growing. With the current size of the home operation and the inability to expand on the current property, they knew it wasn’t a viable option for Paul, Drew and Mike to get actively involved at the home farm. They began developing a strategy that was going to best suit their situation and capitalize on their talents. After looking at numerous strategies, the Berkels were approached by the previous owners of Proplant about their possible interest in Propagation. Since the Berkels have been starting their plants at Proplant from the beginning, the conversation was a very easy one.
Proplant has been producing premium vegetable plants since 1999. With a recent expansion of 10 acres of diffused glass, the Berkels saw that opportunity was there. Once they knew it was viable they decided it was the right move to pursue, helped by the fact the previous owners were very receptive and extremely helpful from the beginning of the transitioning period.
As part of the transition, the management team has stayed in place. This includes Dr. Muhammad Saeed, head grower and general manager, as well as a skilled labour force that was very open and receptive towards working with a new ownership group. In addition, the Berkels have added their talents and experience to help create a dynamic team within Proplant.
Now with a full vegetable propagation season successfully behind them, the three young men feel very confident about the direction Proplant is headed. “Having grown up working together in the greenhouse since we were just kids, there is a strong sense of pride in knowing we are contributing to the success of greenhouse growers across North America”. They look forward to building strong relationships with their new and existing producers, and will continue to push for the consistent quality that greenhouse vegetable growers expect.
Publication date: 3/7/2018
Other news in this sector: