Job offersmore »
- Managing Grower - Australia
- Senior Grower - Talbotville, Ontario, Canada
- Operations Manager - Fresh Produce
- Senior Account Manager Retail - Netherlands
- Supply Allocation and Inventory Manager - Fresh Produce, Italy
- Senior Grower - Katunga, Australia
- Key Account Manager - Netherlands
- Accountmanager aardappelinkoop BelgiŽ / Frankrijk
- International Retail Manager - Netherlands
- Quality Assurance Team EA Region -Antwerp- Quality Supervisor, Belgium
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
- "We are now the only people producing the tubers hydroponically"
- Oxygen level in water: an underestimated factor in plant growth
- Bitcoin mining powers tomato greenhouse
- How the rise of Amazon will urge you to create a brand in fresh produce
- UV light provides novel method to improve crop performance and yield
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Tomato Masters expands at request of Carrefour
A significant expansion of Tomato Masters in Deinze. The Flemish company now occupies an area of 10.5 ha, and this year 5.7 ha will be added to that.
The new construction will be done by Havecon, and is the result of a request of supermarket chain Carrefour. Johan Vlaemynck: "We are already growing 6 ha for Carrefour, but they want all year round supply, and that's the reason of the expansion."
In the new greenhouse vine tomatoes in lighted cultivation will be planted. Johan: "The varieties have not been chosen yet."
Team Tomato Masters, f.l.t.r.: Herman, Johan, Tom and Dirk Vlaemynck.
Not a drop of groundwater
The Belgian tomato grower focuses on a sustainable cultivation. The greenhouse will be equipped with diffuse glass to optimize the use of energy. A new cogeneration will be installed for the new greenhouse. The first supplies the existing greenhouses with heat for five years already. "We work together with a fish farm. In exchange for the heat and electricity we supply them, we get the water of the fishes, which contains a lot of nutrients for the plants."
Two large basins collect the rain water. "We have a storage capacity of 8.000 m2 per ha. Not a drop of groundwater is used for the tomato plants.
"We have been growing on Peltacom Grow Bag for a number of years. It is a completely biological substrate of coconut and peat bog. Carrefour sells the vine tomatoes under the hallmark Carrefour. This stipulates that a biological substrate has to be used and not rock wool. This is one of the reasons Carrefour is interested in our company."
For more information:
T. +32 (0)93357701
M. +32 (0)494 84 09 55
Stokstormestraat 14 A
Publication date: 3/8/2018
Other news in this sector: