Job offersmore »
- Managing Grower - Australia
- Senior Grower - Talbotville, Ontario, Canada
- Operations Manager - Fresh Produce
- Senior Account Manager Retail - Netherlands
- Supply Allocation and Inventory Manager - Fresh Produce, Italy
- Senior Grower - Katunga, Australia
- Key Account Manager - Netherlands
- Accountmanager aardappelinkoop België / Frankrijk
- International Retail Manager - Netherlands
- Quality Assurance Team EA Region -Antwerp- Quality Supervisor, Belgium
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
- "We are now the only people producing the tubers hydroponically"
- Oxygen level in water: an underestimated factor in plant growth
- Bitcoin mining powers tomato greenhouse
- How the rise of Amazon will urge you to create a brand in fresh produce
- UV light provides novel method to improve crop performance and yield
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
South Africa: Margaret Roberts honored with seed bankThe weekend marked a year since the death of South Africa’s herbal doyenne, Margaret Roberts, at the age of 80.
Symbolically, it also marked the official launch of a new phase in her legacy seed bank project.
The seed bank at the Margaret Roberts Herbal Centre in De Wildt is a repository of 1500 seeds representing South Africa’s indigenous food and medicinal plants.
Her daughter Sandy explained at an event at the centre on Saturday that the seed bank was germinated when her daughter (now a teenager) had been a toddler at the newly-formed Mountain Cambridge Pre-Primary School at Hartbeespoort, and Sandy and her mother would gather seeds for the children to plant in the school’s gardens.
But it was on a holiday visit to the Seychelles, where Roberts discovered that the island nation had a national seed bank to protect its plant diversity for the future, that the idea really grew.
Read more at Pretoria News (Val Boje)
Publication date: 3/6/2018
Other news in this sector: