Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last month
Top 5 -last week
Thousands gather to celebrate tomatoes in Almería
This event, which was organised by La Voz de Almería and Cadena SER with the institutional support of the City Council of Almería, the Provincial Council and Cajamar, gathered in this square of the city centre based around different stands on which the ten participating companies showed their products to the public.
Breaking previous participation records, people from Almería showed their enthusiasm for this event once again, in which different parallel activities were organized for the expanded programme.
Saturday included different exhibitions, tastings, sales of tomatoes with supportive purposes and even a flamenco-fusion concert. The children were also featured characters of this event thanks to the La Charanga Band of La Voz, accompanied by the event’s mascot, Tomatal; the mascot of La Voz de Almería, Vocito; and the heart that promotes the candidacy of Almería for 2019 Spanish Gastronomy Capital, which interacted with the surprised children. This was not the only activity for children; with drawing competitions, crafts workshop, sensorial tastings of fruits and vegetables and a photo call too.
One of the main characteristics of this Tomato Day was its charity nature. Early in the morning a healthy breakfast was served which was made up of sliced bread with olive oil, crushed tomato and coffee for only one Euro. The money collected went to the Association for Children with Disability in Almería (ANDA). The aim of this activity was not only the promotion of a healthy diet, but also a collaboration with this important association in the province. The charity nature of Tomato Day continued at lunch time when for the same price, one Euro, the organization offered a Cruzcampo beer with an appetizer. The money collected was given to the Red Cross. In addition to this, tomatoes were packed into bags and sold to the attendees for the benefit of the two collaborating associations. Tomatoes were supplied by several companies such as Única Group, Vicasol, Coprohníjar, Balcón de Níjar, Vegacañada, Hortamar, Agroponiente, La Unión, Casi and Caparrós Nature.
Several bars and restaurants in the centre also participated in this event and made different tapas whose main ingredient was the tomato. This initiative, promoted by the Provincial Association of Hotel Industry Businessmen (ASHAL), was a complete success. The Fundación Tecnova, the reference centre within the ancillary industry for agriculture, post-harvest and food production packaging also offered tomato tastings in the same Plaza Vieja.
Research and music
The Tomato Day had an important informative nature thanks to the exhibition ‘Genetic improvement of tomato” which created a great interest between the public and all the visitors were given the magazine ‘Tomate 3.0’, with different recipes.
The event was continuously enlivened by music, particularly at midday, when the group from Malaga 'Cantando bajito' performed its peculiar flamenco tracks in the Plaza Vieja. During its performance, a tribute was paid to the collaborating companies which demonstrated their commitment with the sector and the society in Almería. There was also an exhibition of Kia and Toyota cars, a live radiocasting of Cadena Ser Almería and raffles to enjoy a stay in the hotel Aire Almería.
The Tomato Day celebrated its fourth edition with the support of companies from different sectors and within the framework of the Plaza Vieja. Next year this event will celebrate its fifth edition.
Publication date :
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 09/18/2018 It's all about sustainable urban planning at IPM Dubai 2018
- 09/17/2018 UK: Growing media developments in soft fruit propagation
- 09/17/2018 Higher than expected turnout at Rijk Zwaan open day
- 09/17/2018 Summer School Greenhouse Horticulture #SSGH18
- 09/17/2018 UK: Brassicas and Leafy Salads Conference
- 09/17/2018 ”Fresh Business Expo proven to be effective platform for Ukraine's fresh produce industry”
- 09/14/2018 Wanted: Future proof vegetable producers
- 09/13/2018 Flemish Minister completes internship at Antwerp tomato company
- 09/13/2018 US (NY): Sustainability symposium to focus on biological products
- 09/13/2018 Artificial intelligence & automation highlighted at the 2018 CGC
- 09/13/2018 US: 2018 Virginia Smart Farming Conference postponed
- 09/13/2018 UK: David Domoney opens 2018 CIH Conference
- 09/13/2018 US (NY): Indoor Ag-Con pops up in Brooklyn
- 09/12/2018 The newest technology in lighting your commercial grow
- 09/12/2018 Italy: Veggie support for 7th Alzheimer Marathon
- 09/11/2018 US: Semi trucks carrying fruit overturn, in Oklahoma and California
- 09/10/2018 "How does LED technology benefit a growing business?"
- 09/10/2018 US (MA): Business and marketing sessions at NGCE
- 09/07/2018 Convenience trends at the Asiafruit Congress
- 09/07/2018 Measuring light in a greenhouse: why, what, when and how