Job offersmore »
- Engineer support in agricultural sciences - Switzerland
- Farm Manager - Perth, Western Australia
- Expansion manager
- Horticultural Specialist - Emeryville (CA) USA
- Sales Manager Europe Division
- Grower - Delta, (OH) USA
- Export Sales - Perth, Australia
- Production Manager Indonesia - Magelang/Central Java, Indonesia
- Director ASIA Research Station Operations - Bangkok, Thailand
- Spécialiste Technique et commercial Biocontrôle pour l’Ouest de la France
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news has been published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
CAN (BC): Greenhouse faces $100K hit from health taxA family that runs a Langley greenhouse says the new provincial health care payroll tax will cost the business an extra $100,000 a year.
Tamara Jansen, whose family has been operating Darvonda Nurseries for well over three decades, warned the tax could force them to make cuts, sell property or even relocate.
Jansen said the message to farms like Darvonda Nurseries, which employs 250 people, mostly seasonal, was “if you have a high payroll, it sucks to be you.”
“It’s a war on farms.”
Jansen, who described herself as “indignant and frustrated,” said other large greenhouses are in the same boat.
“It’s imperative that people understand that farming is a very low-margin business (with) high risks, high labour costs.”
“What are they expecting us to do?” Jansen said.
“Honestly, the margins are so low that you are thinking about selling off pieces.”
Read more at the Aldergrove Star (Dan Ferguson)
Publication date: 3/5/2018
Other news in this sector: