Job offersmore »
- Engineer support in agricultural sciences - Switzerland
- Farm Manager - Perth, Western Australia
- Expansion manager
- Horticultural Specialist - Emeryville (CA) USA
- Sales Manager Europe Division
- Grower - Delta, (OH) USA
- Export Sales - Perth, Australia
- Production Manager Indonesia - Magelang/Central Java, Indonesia
- Director ASIA Research Station Operations - Bangkok, Thailand
- Spécialiste Technique et commercial Biocontrôle pour l’Ouest de la France
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
US (CT): Torrington warehouse turns into aquaponics farmTo encourage community growth, New Opportunities Inc. is looking to create life in an unused Field Street warehouse.
The regional community action agency plans to create an aquaponic farm and grow lettuce, basil, thyme and other herbs with the help of a local workforce.
Bill Rybczyk, director of research, development and planning, said the project has been in the works for more than five years, after the organization’s president and CEO, Dr. James Gatling, offered the idea.
The Connecticut Bond Commission awarded a $1 million loan to the nonprofit agency, allowing it to establish the project.
The agency intends to hire about 30 workers to staff the farm. It would provide an opportunity for people in need of work to step into an emerging field, Rybczyk said.
The timeline for getting the project off the ground is uncertain, but Rybczyk estimated they could begin growing vegetables soon after the start of 2019.
Read more at The Register Citizen (Ben Lambert)
Publication date: 3/2/2018
Other news in this sector: