- Flower Bulb and Perennial Sales Position - Portland (Oregon) USA
- Plant Production Scientist - Brooklyn (NY) USA
- Greenhouse Assistant Grower - Abbotsford (B.C.) Canada
- Technical Sales Representative - South Western Ontario, Canada
- Farm Manager - West Africa
- Managing Agronomist - Surinam
- Vegetal Material Programme Leader - Cisterna di Latina (Latium), Italy
- Head of Sales North America - Sacramento (CA) USA
- Inkoop Specialist Holland Product - Netherlands
- Vegetable Grower - Australia
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last month
Top 5 -last week
Svalbard Global Seed Vault to get 10 million euro upgrade
"The upgrades, which we hope to begin presently, will ensure that the Svalbard Global Seed Vault can continue to offer the world's gene banks a secure storage space in the future. It is a great and important task to safeguard all the genetic material that is crucial to global food security," Norway's Minister of Agriculture and Food Jon Georg Dale said.
Statsbygg has prepared a feasibility study, commissioned by the Ministry of Agriculture and Food. The project includes the construction of a new, concrete-built access tunnel, as well as a service building to house emergency power and refrigerating units and other electrical equipment that emits heat through the tunnel.
"In 2017 the important role of the seed vault was made evident. For the first time seeds were redeposited at the seed vault on Svalbard. The ICARDA International Research Center, previously operating out of Aleppo in Syria, returned seeds harvested after they had retrieved their seeds from Svalbard in 2015. This demonstrates that the seed vault is a worldwide insurance for food supply for future generations," Jon Georg Dale says.
Deep inside a mountain on a remote island in the Svalbard archipelago, halfway between mainland Norway and the North Pole, lies the Global Seed Vault. It is a long-term seed storage facility, built to stand the test of time — and the challenge of natural or man-made disasters. The Seed Vault represents the world’s largest collection of crop diversity. Credit: Matthias Heyde
The parties that finance and operate Svalbard Global Seed Vault are the Ministry of Agriculture and Food, the Global Crop Diversity Trust and the Nordic Genetic Resource Center (NordGen).
Publication date :
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 09/18/2018 Jumping genes drive chromosome changes in strawberries
- 09/18/2018 How a French prince is saving the world from tasteless tomatoes
- 09/17/2018 US (NY): New high-yield strawberry, raspberry varieties released
- 09/06/2018 At breeder TomaTech, it's not just about the tomatoes
- 08/31/2018 US (PA): CRISPR mushroom is changing the dialogue around GMOs
- 08/31/2018 Groundwork for playing with the architecture of plants
- 08/31/2018 How nuclear science helps improve food
- 08/30/2018 ASTA highlights Farm Bill Conference priorities
- 08/30/2018 "Convenience is a trend in breeding"
- 08/23/2018 Crop innovators partner to unlock intrinsic yield and sustainability genes
- 08/22/2018 University of Toronto to develop disease-resistant vegetables
- 08/21/2018 What’s new in sweet potatoes and tomatoes
- 08/20/2018 Turkey: New tomato becomes more tasty under stress
- 08/20/2018 Azerbaijan taking steps for production of vegetable seeds
- 08/17/2018 Canada invests in vegetable breeding research
- 08/16/2018 "Gene-editing startups ignite the next 'Frankenfood' fight"
- 08/15/2018 Next stage for Advanced Berry Breeding
- 08/14/2018 Inari secures $40 million to expand plant breeding technologies
- 08/13/2018 More hot peppers grown in Argentina in recent years
- 08/13/2018 Proteins generate 'wow factors' in fruits and vegetables