Top 5 -yesterday
- Efficient irrigation for blueberry grower
- Benson Hill Biosystems raises $60 million to improve food and ingredients
- Czech scientists make progress in microscopic examination of plants
- Screening protects citrus from greening and storms
- US (CA): Turnkey automated cultivation systems for the cannabis industry
Top 5 -last month
Top 5 -last week
US (WI): Tomatoes are always in season in Melrose
But snow, ice and freezing temperatures outside don’t stop Rose Strait and her daughters Ann and Mary from growing and harvesting tomatoes at their The Tomato Patch greenhouses on the north edge of Melrose.
The Tomato Patch, also known as Melrose Tomatoes, grows its produce year-round in five greenhouses next to the Strait home. Its tomatoes are sold to 12 grocery stores and four restaurants within 40 miles of Melrose.
Rose and her daughters have about 3,200 tomato plants in their greenhouses, which are heated with propane in the colder months. The Tomato Patch typically produces 60,000 to 80,000 pounds of tomatoes a year.
Rose and her husband Dean, who died in 2014, started the business in 1986 almost by accident after enclosing their porch with sheets of plastic to make their house warmer.
They decided it looked like a good place to grow tomatoes and looked into the possibility of raising them indoors. A University of Wisconsin-Madison expert said that wouldn’t be economically feasible because of a lack of winter sunlight and high heating costs. But after starting their business with 40 tomato plants on their enclosed porch, the Straits proved the expert wrong.
Read more at the La Crosse Tribune (Steve Cahalan)
Publication date :
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 09/18/2018 Efficient irrigation for blueberry grower
- 09/18/2018 France: Hotel puts stop to food waste with virtuous biosystem
- 09/17/2018 Nigeria: Wells Hosa Greenhouse will partner with government, private sector
- 09/17/2018 US (WY): Tomato grower pleads guilty to growing marijuana
- 09/14/2018 Earlier strawberry crop and year-round production with LED toplighting
- 09/14/2018 Belgian tomato group switching to hybrid lighting system
- 09/14/2018 Australian tomato grower goes from strength to strength using latest technology
- 09/14/2018 Abu Dhabi: Cultivation started in Al Dahra BayWa greenhouse
- 09/14/2018 US (VA): Year-round greenhouse draws tourists' attention to family farm
- 09/14/2018 AU: Katunga fresh to expand with 15 hectare cucumber greenhouse
- 09/12/2018 India: Women growers looking to save environment, conserve water
- 09/12/2018 Bristol man baffled by giant cucumbers
- 09/12/2018 Australia: Is your farm eligible for a grant of up to $500,000?
- 09/12/2018 US (MO): A hydroponic twist on the family farm
- 09/12/2018 Australia: Greenhouse growers tour Woolgoolga
- 09/11/2018 Largest organic nursery in Central America inaugurated in Panama
- 09/11/2018 US (NC): Hydroponic farm buzzing with activity
- 09/10/2018 US (MA): Little Leaf Farms signs on to supply Springfield's 26,000 students
- 09/10/2018 US (MO): Investigating Springfield greenhouse project with residual heat
- 09/07/2018 US (GA): Dublin high students grow plants and veggies, up for sale.