Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last month
Top 5 -last week
Growth a possibility for organic greens in the US
“The growth isn’t as mature on the foodservice side as it is on the organic retail side,” says Paul Mocettini of Salinas, Ca.-based Muzzi Family Farms, who supplies both conventional product as well as organic greens including baby spinach, spring mix, wild arugula and baby green kale. “It’s been a little harder to get people to convert over to organic on the foodservice side—the explanation I’ve received is that for a restaurant to call a salad organic, all the ingredients need to be organic.”
More products added
That said, Muzzi has increased its organic options, with its most recent additions being the wild arugula and the organic baby green kale. As a processor, Muzzi’s processing plant in the winter is based in Yuma, Ariz. with growers in the Yuma region and California’s Imperial Valley. Then in April, processing moves back up to its plant in Moss Landing, Calif. with growers hailing from California’s King City South to the Watsonville and Hollister areas.
With harvesting happening often at night between 10 p.m. and 6 a.m., Muzzi notes that organic baby spinach can be the most challenging. “There are always challenges with mildew and that creates a lot of times where you have lost fields so it makes the supply a little more unstable,” Mocettini says. “And it’s difficult to forecast when that’s going to happen. It’s just part of being in the organic business.”
Starts at retail
Looking ahead though, Muzzi sees that increasing interest in organics possibly building even more. “We see more interest throughout the country, that push towards organic,” he says. “It starts at the retail level and then there’s been a little more pressure or interest in the foodservice side.”
For more information:
Muzzi Family Farms
Tel: +1-(831) 757-7136
Publication date :
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 09/11/2018 Government of Canada celebrates Organic Week
- 09/10/2018 "Congress should support organic farming"
- 08/27/2018 More than $8 million to help strengthen and grow Canada's organic sector
- 08/27/2018 "Organic food exports at mercy of EU discretion after no-deal Brexit"
- 08/24/2018 US: Edible Garden to supply organic leafy greens to national grocery chains
- 08/21/2018 Organic agriculture on the rise in Bulgaria
- 08/08/2018 How does an organic farm create its own organic fertilizer?
- 08/08/2018 US (PA): $500,000 for Rodale Institute to fund organic research
- 07/20/2018 Spain: CASI doubles acreage devoted to organic production
- 07/19/2018 US: Organic labels must be removed from fumigated imports
- 07/13/2018 "Conversations about organic must change"
- 07/12/2018 Austria: Organic cucumber rarities sold exclusively by Merkur
- 07/12/2018 US: Scholarship fund supports next generation of organic farmers
- 07/10/2018 US (ME): MOFGA welcomes new executive director Sarah Alexander
- 07/06/2018 US: Ocean Mist Farms announces increase in organic vegetable acreage
- 07/05/2018 US: Nature's Path leaves Organic Trade Association
- 07/04/2018 France launches plan to increase organic acreage
- 06/27/2018 Optimising vegetable crops for organic farming
- 06/26/2018 Australia: Robots boost organic tomato farming
- 06/22/2018 EU: Ten-year reprieve for organic hydroponic growers