- Flower Bulb and Perennial Sales Position - Portland (Oregon) USA
- Plant Production Scientist - Brooklyn (NY) USA
- Greenhouse Assistant Grower - Abbotsford (B.C.) Canada
- Technical Sales Representative - South Western Ontario, Canada
- Farm Manager - West Africa
- Managing Agronomist - Surinam
- Vegetal Material Programme Leader - Cisterna di Latina (Latium), Italy
- Head of Sales North America - Sacramento (CA) USA
- Inkoop Specialist Holland Product - Netherlands
- Vegetable Grower - Australia
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last month
Top 5 -last week
India: Rajasthan to take greenhouse vegetable cultivation to new level
A document on Rajasthan’s agriculture challenges by the Niti Aayog in 2016 cites this as a “major barrier in effective intervention in the advancement of agriculture”.
Yet, India’s largest state with 61% arid or semi-arid climate and 35 million in poverty wants to do an ‘Israel’ in agriculture: make the desert bloom.
It has, over the last couple of years, set up six hi-tech centres, such as the one outside Jaipur, to disseminate cutting-edge Israeli horticulture technologies. Three more are in the works. No state has so many Centres of Excellence.
“We have got the best technologies from countries such as Israel and Netherlands for these centres of excellence,” says agriculture minister Prabhulal Saini.
The idea is to make them grow citrus fruits and vegetables with water-economising technologies. In these crops, the state could do better, just like Israel. So, it’s looking at a mixed cropping patterns. “A little math and you’ll understand,” says director horticulture VP Singh. “Input costs in traditional crops are rising. Agree? And farmers’ returns are falling,” he says.
“Greenhouse cucumber production gives an average 50 tonnes of average production. The average cost of cucumber is about Rs 20 [0.31 USD] per kg. So that’s Rs 10 lakh [15,380 USD] in total revenue. If total costs are Rs 3-4 [0.05-0.06 USD] lakh, that means saving of around Rs 6 lakh [9228 USD].”
Read more at the Hindustan Times (Zia Haq)
Publication date :
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 09/19/2018 Greenhouses boost nutrition in Bolivia
- 09/18/2018 Germany: Wittingen gets first joint Food & Energy facility
- 09/18/2018 Korean company builds aquaponic greenhouse in Kazakhstan
- 09/18/2018 US: Greenhouse atop SEH accommodates unorthodox student experiments
- 09/18/2018 Russia: 11 ha greenhouse under construction in Kuban
- 09/17/2018 Russia: High-tech greenhouse complex opened in Rostov region
- 09/17/2018 Russia: Greenhouse vegetables crops in Moscow region up 77%
- 09/14/2018 US (IL): Sangamon Valley students anticipating new greenhouse
- 09/14/2018 Record harvest at Antarctic greenhouse
- 09/14/2018 Samoan growers get tunnel and shade houses from China
- 09/14/2018 Texas A&M AgriLife high tunnel study expands
- 09/13/2018 Company-university partnership helps build Mexico’s greenhouse industry
- 09/13/2018 Basic requirements when looking for a new greenhouse production site
- 09/13/2018 Belgium: Roeselare breaks ground on 30 ha greenhouse business park
- 09/13/2018 CAN (ON): MJ grower completes first harvest in Strathroy greenhouse
- 09/12/2018 Turkey: Growing bananas in a greenhouse with a steam machine
- 09/12/2018 West Africa's largest hydroponic tomato greenhouse opens in Nigeria
- 09/11/2018 US (TX): High school receives $10K Monsanto grant for greenhouse
- 09/11/2018 Are hot springs the future of farming?
- 09/11/2018 Biggest greenhouse in Siberia for sale