Job offersmore »
- Managing Grower - Australia
- Senior Grower - Talbotville, Ontario, Canada
- Operations Manager - Fresh Produce
- Senior Account Manager Retail - Netherlands
- Supply Allocation and Inventory Manager - Fresh Produce, Italy
- Senior Grower - Katunga, Australia
- Key Account Manager - Netherlands
- Accountmanager aardappelinkoop België / Frankrijk
- International Retail Manager - Netherlands
- Quality Assurance Team EA Region -Antwerp- Quality Supervisor, Belgium
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
- "We are now the only people producing the tubers hydroponically"
- Oxygen level in water: an underestimated factor in plant growth
- Bitcoin mining powers tomato greenhouse
- How the rise of Amazon will urge you to create a brand in fresh produce
- UV light provides novel method to improve crop performance and yield
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
White fly in tomato: all cards on organic pesticidesIn 2017 the control of white fly was occasionally downright difficult. Both the greenhouse and tobacco white fly gave growers the necessary headaches. "A lack of correction agents certainly played a role in this," according to Koppert Biological Systems.
Koppert advises taking precautionary measures now. "Spring is coming slowly but surely. This is why you should start now with counting catching strips, so that you know whether there is already white fly in your greenhouse and to what extent. But beware: the tobacco white fly (Bemisia tabacii) is often strongly spread through crops. Catching strips can therefore give a hazy or incomplete view. You should therefore make sure that there is sufficient scouting among the crops. Based on the total image you can then determine what wasps to use and in what amounts."
Barely any good correction materials
"At the same time ensure a strong population of Macrolophus pygmaeus (Mirical). Maintain 6 per plant as a borderline. Continue to feed the predatory bug well so that the population remains at the desired level. Also hang up Horiver Rollertraps, as you can catch white fly with this as well."
"In this manner you can prevent the white fly from becoming an endemic and causing problems with your crops." The measures mentioned are of extra importance according to Koppert as there are hardly any suitable correction materials in 2018.
For more information:
Koppert Biological Systems
Tel: 0031 (0) 10-5140444
Fax: 0031 (0) 10-5115203
Publication date: 2/23/2018
Other news in this sector: