- Flower Bulb and Perennial Sales Position - Portland (Oregon) USA
- Plant Production Scientist - Brooklyn (NY) USA
- Greenhouse Assistant Grower - Abbotsford (B.C.) Canada
- Technical Sales Representative - South Western Ontario, Canada
- Farm Manager - West Africa
- Managing Agronomist - Surinam
- Vegetal Material Programme Leader - Cisterna di Latina (Latium), Italy
- Head of Sales North America - Sacramento (CA) USA
- Inkoop Specialist Holland Product - Netherlands
- Vegetable Grower - Australia
Top 5 -yesterday
- Strawberry sabotage in Australia has widespread consequences
- "The Hague urban greenhouse cannot be made profitable"
- Korean company builds aquaponic greenhouse in Kazakhstan
- How a French prince is saving the world from tasteless tomatoes
- "The program is so flexible that it can easily grow along with our company"
Top 5 -last month
Top 5 -last week
US (WI): Aquaponics growers looking to cash in
But a 120-acre farm established in the 1800s along a rail line that is now the Badger State Trail is trying to make a year-round business out of lettuce, herbs and micro greens, thanks to a greenhouse, tanks of tilapia and the entrepreneurial drive of its owners and small staff.
Clean Fresh Foods is the creation of Mike and Dagny Knight, who are skipping the dirt. Instead, their aquaponics farm uses tanks and troughs of well water in an attempt to reach profitability, capitalize on the local food movement and provide fresh greens to restaurants, grocery stores and institutions, even when their Dane County property is smothered in February snow.
“I think we’re just on the edge of profitability,” said Dagny Knight, a former nurse. “If we can figure out this micro greens piece and get into the farmers market niche, that would be a good step in the right direction. We’re just so close to breaking through that profitability mark.”
Read more at Madison Wisconsin Business News (Barry Adams)
Publication date :
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 09/19/2018 LEDs revolutionise the horticulture industry
- 09/18/2018 US: Groups ask Congress to support urban/innovative farms
- 09/18/2018 Brexit food security: An opportunity for vertical farming?
- 09/18/2018 CAN (QC): 2,000 square feet of gardens to be added to school
- 09/17/2018 US (GA): Hydroponic lettuce on the school lunch line
- 09/17/2018 Building the sustainable cities of the future
- 09/17/2018 Gotham Greens
- 09/14/2018 A farm on a shelf
- 09/13/2018 CAN (SK): Opportunities grow for Creighton container garden
- 09/13/2018 Container farm producer now also supplies farmers
- 09/12/2018 "Vertical farming sounds fantastic until you consider its energy use"
- 09/11/2018 Growing crops with roots in the mist
- 09/11/2018 US (GA): Campus dining uses produce grown in its greenhouse
- 09/11/2018 US (GA): $5 million to help reduce energy costs of indoor farming
- 09/10/2018 Malaysia: City dwellers grow veggies at home without soil
- 09/06/2018 Is urban farming economically feasible or is it a recipe for a financial failure?
- 09/06/2018 How the right sales channel can make or break your vertical farm
- 09/05/2018 "New responses to the way we grow food are a must to respond to the challenges of the future."
- 09/05/2018 US (PA): Plans advancing for greenhouse in former garage
- 09/04/2018 "We want to supply Amsterdam with locally grown food"