Job offersmore »
- Purchasing Specialist Exoten - Netherlands
- Intercompany Key Account Manager Exoten - Netherlands
- Buitendienst Medewerker - Oost Nederland
- Managing Grower - Australia
- Senior Grower - Talbotville, Ontario, Canada
- Operations Manager - Fresh Produce
- Senior Account Manager Retail - Netherlands
- Supply Allocation and Inventory Manager - Fresh Produce, Italy
- Senior Grower - Katunga, Australia
- Key Account Manager - Netherlands
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
US (AZ): Raising prawns in the desert using aquaponicsPrawn farming is alive and well in the U.S. But a class at Mesa Community College wanted to learn how to better raise these crustaceans using aquaponics.
“So we harnessed nature in order to grow food for us - both fish in these tanks and plants out here,” said Dr. George Brooks, who leads the aquaponics class.
“Here we have collard greens, broccoli, kale, mustard greens, some kinds of lettuce,” Brooks said, pointing out different leafy greens.
When the prawns were at the college last semester, raising them to be big enough to eat was no picnic - partly because the prawns have a big appetite themselves.
“And that’s they’re biggest problem — they tend to be cannibalistic,” Brooks said. “They are very feisty to say the least. I would personally not want to mess with a big one.”
Read more at KJZZ (Annika Cline)
Publication date: 2/16/2018
Other news in this sector: