Top 5 -yesterday
- Brexit food security: An opportunity for vertical farming?
- Korean company builds aquaponic greenhouse in Kazakhstan
- US: Greenhouse atop SEH accommodates unorthodox student experiments
- France: Hotel puts stop to food waste with virtuous biosystem
- "The Hague urban greenhouse cannot be made profitable"
Top 5 -last month
Top 5 -last week
Lessons from running an IoT-driven aquaponics greenhouse
"Currently, our greenhouse is an IoT device, which measures and reports on the water temperature, the ambient lighting and the pH of the water. It also has a passive solar heater attached to the greenhouse, as temperature is one of the first optimization factors I can bring into play.
"Now it might be fair to say the current state of things is just automation. Even though it is web connected, that’s not really IoT – where’s the data analytics?
"Well, in addition to the sensors I mentioned, I also have a microphone in the greenhouse. There are two vital pumps in the system, a water pump and an air pump. If either of those fail, plants and fish start to die very quickly. This is the first IoT angle. By capturing the audio and doing spectrum analysis on the wave files I can determine if the pumps are running, and if they are under stress or load."
Read more at IoT For All
Publication date :
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 09/18/2018 Czech scientists make progress in microscopic examination of plants
- 09/18/2018 Screening protects citrus from greening and storms
- 09/17/2018 “We take the guessing out of commercial aquaponics"
- 09/17/2018 Divisional patent for Irrigation by Condensation (IBC) technology in India
- 09/17/2018 Ion exchange in the treatment of irrigation water
- 09/14/2018 NL: Sugar factory supplies water to growers
- 09/14/2018 Checking food with a smartphone thanks to a broadband infrared LED
- 09/14/2018 Australian company launches Priva accreditation scheme
- 09/14/2018 HortTechnology announces open access of applied horticultural research
- 09/13/2018 Smart cameras predict future development of cuttings
- 09/13/2018 Indoor precision agriculture platform enables connected indoor farm
- 09/13/2018 Water cooling and water tightness in LED fixtures
- 09/12/2018 Danes research greenhouse grow lamps
- 09/12/2018 US: Electrolyzed water system to treat and prevent plant diseases
- 09/11/2018 "No duplicate sensors, lower costs and uniform data"
- 09/11/2018 UK: Using maths and engineering to solve problems in food production
- 09/10/2018 US (AR): Oxygen's role in plant self-defense
- 09/10/2018 Nutrient removal from drainwater: the e-Phos showcased
- 09/07/2018 "Vertical farm products: easy to construct and transport"
- 09/07/2018 "Even a crop hook can contribute to sustainably feeding world population"