- Product Manager / Concept Manager - Verspakketten - Ridderkerk
- District sales manager - British Columbia and Alberta, Canada
- Grower - Carlisle, Pa. USA
- Account Manager - Melbourne, Australia
- Grower - Australia
- Director of Marketing & Communications - Summerland (BC), Canada
- Lead Auditor
- Quality Assurance Team EA Region - Antwerp - Quality Assurance Supervisor
- Medior Sales Engineer - Netherlands
- General Manager Australia
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last month
Top 5 -last week
Persian cucumbers in short supply in North America
“Supply of English cucumbers has been fairly steady,” says Karen Thomson of Thomson Fresh LLC in Los Angeles, Ca. “Everything's coming out of Mexico right now and it’s been pretty consistent. Prices haven’t gone up or down too much because supplies have been fairly consistent.” This is similar to last year’s cucumber volume, adds Thomson.
Mexico’s season will likely run until May and that’s when Thomson switches over to California for cucumber supplies.
Different Persian picture
At the same time, one of the three varieties—Persian cucumbers, have been in short supply. “They’re really short right now and I’m not sure why,” says Thomson. “It may be weather conditions and they’re between plantings—but the supply is so short that the market is in the $20-$30 range. It’s really hard to find any right now.” That shortage has been going on for three weeks and doesn’t seem to affect the other two varieties of cucumbers, English and American.
At the same time, demand for cucumbers has been a bit light. “There are plenty coming in right now so prices aren’t really high and they’re fairly consistent. It’s been like this since mid-December,” she says. “Prices then were even weaker so it’s firmed up since then and been steady for the last 4-5 weeks.”
Waiting for change
Looking ahead, while she anticipates steady movement for English cucumbers, she hopes for a change in Persian supply. “Hopefully the production will come up for the Persian cucumbers so that price will go down,” says Thomson.
For more information:
Thomson Fresh LLC
Publication date :
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 10/19/2018 Growers in Morocco and Spain moving away from tomatoes
- 10/19/2018 Florence squeezes supplies of eggplant
- 10/19/2018 No more EU fruit pickers for the UK
- 10/19/2018 US (GA): Michael deals $480 million blow to vegetable growers
- 10/18/2018 NL: Production acreage seeds and propagation material reaches record high
- 10/18/2018 Vegetable growers warn of possible shortages in new year
- 10/18/2018 "Strong market position for greenhouse horticulture with resilient vegetables"
- 10/18/2018 "Tropical storm Leslie does not cause damage to Spanish open field cultivation"
- 10/17/2018 Turkey: Decline in agricultural production areas in Kutahya
- 10/17/2018 Australian dollar dropping to lowest levels in two years
- 10/17/2018 Qatar: How the blockade has boosted food production
- 10/17/2018 US: Most agricultural commodities neutral to profitable
- 10/17/2018 Australia: Mother Nature knocks down Queensland fruit farmers again
- 10/17/2018 'Germany dominating cucumber market, more so than The Netherlands'
- 10/17/2018 Asian vegetable trial to determine market & production viability in Texas
- 10/17/2018 Price of Chinese greenhouse tomatoes increases as open-field tomato production season ends
- 10/16/2018 "Expansion in Spanish peppers and eggplants"
- 10/16/2018 Poland: Drought subsidies made available for farmers
- 10/16/2018 Production thins on imported calabaza
- 10/16/2018 China: Peppers in abundance