Job offersmore »
- Junior Productie Manager - Kenia
- Quality Assurance Quality Control - Canada
- Senior growers/agronomists - China
- Account Manager Foodservice en Groothandel DACH - Netherlands
- Business Development Manager - California
- Head of Sales North America - Sacramento (CA) USA
- Import Assistant and Operations Assistant - Netherlands
- Farms Director UK - South East
- Agronomist to work abroad
- Export salesperson GERMANY - Barcelona, Spain
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news has been published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Spain: Almeria mini-greenhouse nominated for 21st Entrepreneur Awards
Niwa, a company that sells mini-greenhouses, will represent Almeria in the eleventh edition of the 21st Entrepreneur Awards promoted by CaixaBank with the collaboration of the Ministry of Economy and Knowledge of the Government of Andalusia. The name of the winning company will be announced on 5 February.
Niwa is a company under the CADE of Almeria that is developing a hardware and software platform for the marketing of a mini-greenhouse, whose owner can set it up at home with an Internet connection, allowing for the cultivation of vegetables for self-consumption.
Niwa's founder Javier Morillas has devised this intelligent hydroponic system. It is a small greenhouse that fits in a home's living room and connects to mobile devices.
Morillas began working on the idea several years ago, after thinking about the long trips that tomatoes or escaroles have to make before reaching the final consumer.
Morillas thus conceived a technological solution that would help tackle problems such as the lack of knowledge, time and space. Niwa does not require agricultural soil, but mineral solutions, and includes a series of sensors to create the perfect climate for each plant and each stage of its development.
The key is how easy they are to use, since the users only have to plant the seed they want to grow and log it in a mobile application. It is possible to grow tomatoes, peppers, strawberries, lettuce, herbs or flowers, among other things.
It is an idea that currently has no competitor in the market and which stands out for the simplicity of its use. After manufacturing several prototypes, the company is working to gain ground in this new market.
Publication date: 2/5/2018
Other news in this sector: