Job offersmore »
- Junior Productie Manager - Kenia
- Quality Assurance Quality Control - Canada
- Senior growers/agronomists - China
- Account Manager Foodservice en Groothandel DACH - Netherlands
- Business Development Manager - California
- Head of Sales North America - Sacramento (CA) USA
- Import Assistant and Operations Assistant - Netherlands
- Farms Director UK - South East
- Agronomist to work abroad
- Export salesperson GERMANY - Barcelona, Spain
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
"Aquaponics can increase Oman's food security"The low cost of setting up an aquaponics farm and the minimal amount of water required for it to thrive makes it ideal for Oman to use as the Sultanate looks to achieve food security.
That’s the opinion of Murray Hallam, the 'godfather' of commercial aquaponics. One of Hallam’s students is Arvind Venkataraman, who is project engineer for Al Arfan Farms, Oman’s first aquaponics farm that has been built on a one-acre plot of land in Seeb. As the founder of Water Farmers Aquaponics, he has set up more than 15 farms worldwide.
“Water in Oman is available at a premium, and because aquaponics uses such little water, it is perfect for areas like this,” he said. With meat and veggies being the two most important food groups the world over, Hallam is confident aquaponics will continue to address food security needs.
Read more at the Times of Oman (Gautam Viswanathan)
Publication date: 2/1/2018
Other news in this sector: