- Sales Coordinator Europe Division
- Sales Manager Europe Division
- Hydroponic Crop Manager
- Area Manager North-America
- Business Development Manager - LED Horticulture
- General Manager/Sales Manager - Mannum, South Australia
- Produce sales professionals
- Salesman - Vojvodina, North Serbia
- Internationaal Verkoper / Trader AGF - Barendrecht
- Production lab manager - Oregon, USA
Top 5 -yesterday
- "CGMMV is very stable and can survive for long periods"
- Harvest start for Frutura tomatoes from Bad Blumau
- Plantitalia: the favorite nursery for strawberry producers in the south
- "Sustainable vertical farming found to reduce CO2 outputs by 70% over other agricultural methods"
- Experts from the Netherlands to revive horticulture in Zimbabwe
Top 5 -last month
Top 5 -last week
- Researchers in Costa Rica create a tomato that is resistant to yellow leaf curl virus
- Researchers discover novel “to divide or to differentiate” switch in plants
- Dognald Duck
- University delves into current research on local food systems
- Trans-Tasman alliance to stamp out threats to national biosecurity
"India: "Farmers let tomato crop rot as middlemen cheat"
In the current system, it is not farmers but middlemen who get the benefits and the profits. Farmers who cultivated the crop, sometimes don’t even get their investments back.
The middlemen are offering Rs 2 [0.03 USD] per kilo to farmers who bring tomatoes to the market, but they sell the tomatoes for Rs 6 [0.09 USD] to Rs 10 [0.16 USD] per kilo in the open market.
With such low prices, farmers don't think it is worthwhile to harvest the crop, or, if they do, they feed it to their cattle.
Read more at the Deccan Chronicle
Publication date :
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2018-11-20 Turkey: Tomato prices and production
- 2018-11-20 Experts from the Netherlands to revive horticulture in Zimbabwe
- 2018-11-20 Global food security improvements projected to be largest in Asia
- 2018-11-20 Russian cucumber and gherkin production up by 14%
- 2018-11-20 Mexico wants to increase vegetable exports to China
- 2018-11-20 Italian-Spanish collaboration: farming and marketing new courgette varieties
- 2018-11-20 Total agricultural output in the EU up by 6.2% in 2017 compared with 2016
- 2018-11-20 UK: A briefing note on the withdrawal agreement
- 2018-11-20 Upper East Ghana tomato farmers switch to onions
- 2018-11-19 Netherlands and EU population growth: Mainly due to migration
- 2018-11-19 Qatar aims at self-sufficiency in vegetable production
- 2018-11-19 Turkey: Currency rate drop increases greenhouse equipment export opportunities
- 2018-11-19 Russia seeks self-sufficiency in greenhouse vegetable production
- 2018-11-19 Alba Bio: hard times for the tomato, good the courgette
- 2018-11-16 Cuba will resume hot pepper exports
- 2018-11-16 University delves into current research on local food systems
- 2018-11-16 California bitter melon still on the move
- 2018-11-16 “Prices of cucumbers and iceberg lettuce rising, minimum prices for green bell pepper”
- 2018-11-16 "Prepare for the worst, hope for the best"
- 2018-11-16 Spain: COAG proposes contracts to set fixed vegetable prices