Job offersmore »
- Import Assistant and Operations Assistant - Netherlands
- Farms Director UK - South East
- Agronomist to work abroad
- Export salesperson GERMANY - Barcelona, Spain
- Account Manager Zachtfruit Scandinavië en Duitsland - Netherlands
- International Editor
- Experienced tomato grower - Angola
- Sales Area Managers - Czech Republic, Eastern Europe, Portugal
- Chief Operations Officer - Deerfield (MA) USA
- LED strategic account manager - Netherlands
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news has been published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Taipei nutritionist dispels online rumours
"Tomatoes safe to eat on empty stomach"Online rumours that eating tomatoes on an empty stomach is dangerous have now been rejected by a nutritionist. Suggestions were floating around that astringents in tomatoes could harden and block the digestive tract when interacting with stomach acids. These are unfounded, said Changhua Christian Hospital nutritionist Chen Yan-hua.
In reality, eating tomatoes offers many health benefits, Chen said. Every 100 grams of cherry tomatoes has 1.5 g of dietary fiber, 609.8 mg of vitamin A, 3.65 mg of beta-carotene, 49.9 mg of vitamin C, 200 mg of potassium and only 35 calories.
The Taipei Times learned that tomatoes contain the antioxidant lycopene, a cancer-preventative phytonutrient that can help dissolve fatty substances in the body, she said, adding that lycopene is easily absorbed by the body.
Publication date: 1/25/2018
Other news in this sector: