Job offersmore »
- (junior) Agronomist China
- Department Chair and Professor of Human Ecology - Davis (CA) USA
- Factory Manager Assistant - Huizhou, China
- Internal Salesperson - Netherlands
- Crop Manager - Northern France
- Farm General Manager - Egypt
- Grower (cucumbers) - Australia
- Projectleider Export - Maasdijk, Nederland
- Sales representative - Eastern PA, DE, MD, VA & WV, USA
- Sales representative - Michigan, USA
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
- Klasmann-Deilmann takes over international distribution of Growcoon
- US: Patent for cooling method of electrical components in a geothermal well
- Netherlands: First well of geothermal doublet for ECW Andijk
- Soil to hydroponics: 50%-100%+ increase in tomato and pepper production
- Pythium root rot on hydroponically grown basil and spinach
Exchange ratesmore »
Nigeria: Irrigation uptake leads to improved tomato cropTomato farmers in Katsina State have devised a way of tackling glut as well as scarcity of the produce by staggering its cultivation within the time frame of dry season farming.
Some years back, the farmers suffered chronic glut of the produce as the various farming communities harvested the produce at the same time.
A farmer in Tafoki Faskari LGA, Sagir Ahmed, said though staggering tomato cultivation has long been popular among farmers in some states, lack of adequate and reliable irrigation water was making those in Katsina to use what is available and produce the crop in droves.
It was discovered that young men in their 20s and 30s at Tafoki village have taken over the irrigation activities, a situation that is boosting the volume of tomato produced yearly in the area.
Shafi’u Ashiru, a large scale farmer, said almost every family has one or two persons that partake in irrigation activities in the village.
Read more at the Daily Trust (Idris Mahmud)
Publication date: 1/22/2018
Other news in this sector: