Job offersmore »
- International Retail Manager - Netherlands
- Quality Assurance Team EA Region -Antwerp- Quality Supervisor, Belgium
- Manager Trucking Company - Azerbaijan
- Junior Productie Manager - Kenia
- (junior) Agronomist China
- Department Chair and Professor of Human Ecology - Davis (CA) USA
- Factory Manager Assistant - Huizhou, China
- Internal Salesperson - Netherlands
- Crop Manager - Northern France
- Farm General Manager - Egypt
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
- Klasmann-Deilmann takes over international distribution of Growcoon
- US: Patent for cooling method of electrical components in a geothermal well
- Netherlands: First well of geothermal doublet for ECW Andijk
- Soil to hydroponics: 50%-100%+ increase in tomato and pepper production
- Pythium root rot on hydroponically grown basil and spinach
Exchange ratesmore »
Cultivating in a shipping containerSince December, Petra Hegeman has been harvesting various types of lettuce, kale and various types of herbs in her Leafy Green Machine - a large shipping container that is equipped as a fully functional vertical farm.
"I have a HAS (University of Applied Sciences) background and have been looking for a way to cultivate indoors." Eventually this way of cultivation -which came to Europe from America- caught her eye. She visited the New Farm in The Hague and Grow Local in Deventer.
In November, the container was placed in The Green East, a large regional testing ground in Raalte. Just before Christmas, Petra was able to harvest the first lettuce. She distributes her products locally to food corporations, consumers and the catering industry.
At the end of December, Petra harvested the first lettuce.
She spends up to 18 hours a week in the container, but the entrepreneur from Luttenberg has great plans for the future. "My container is still placed on a rented lot, but in the future I would like to have my own location where I can expand to several containers. I also want to combine things, having indoor and outdoor cultivation." Petra also plans to invest in a recycling system.
For more information:
Publication date: 2/9/2018
Other news in this sector: