Job offersmore »
- Hydroponic Crop Manager - Tahiti
- Manager Operational Excellence - El Salvador
- Area Manager North Europe - The Netherlands
- Senior Veredelaar Bloemen
- Consultant - Head of Sales or Greenhouse Owner
- Consultant - Head Grower of Greenhouse
- IPM Manager - Mona (Utah) USA
- Labor Manager - Mona (Utah) USA
- Assistant Farm Manager - Australia
- New Product Development Assistant Manager
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news has been published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Young entrepreneur aims to feed Fiji with hydroponicsSandhiya Goundar, who is a lecturer in social science at the University of Fiji, is looking to begin a hydroponic farm in Fiji.
This, she believes, will in turn not only give back greater yields and profits, but potentially create employment.
"I come from a farming background so I always wanted to start up a greenhouse.
"We are doing small-scale farming and selling it to the local community and hotels as well. But I wanted to start up the greenhouse because the yield increases by 50 per cent. So that was where I got the idea of greenhouse. But the YES program wanted something very unique so I incorporated hydroponics as part of my business proposal."
With land already available for her farm, Ms Goundar will grow vegetables such as lettuce, cucumber, dhania, capsicum, okra and karela, chillies, beans, watermelons and tomatoes.
Read more at The Fiji Times (Filipe Naigulevu)
Publication date: 1/15/2018
Other news in this sector: