Job offersmore »
- Account Manager, Southern, Protected Cropping - Melbourne, Australia
- Coördinator Biologische Gewasbescherming - Berkel en Rodenrijs, Nederland
- Head Grower, Retractable Roof Shadehouse - Wedgecarrup, Australia
- National Nursery Manager - Melbourne, Australia
- Lighting Applications Specialist (Horticulture) - Beamsville, Ontario, Canada
- Gärtner für den konventionellen Gemüsebau - Austria
- Expert vegetable farm manager/master grower seeking for his next position
- Horticulture Advisor - The Hague, the Netherlands
- Growing Manager - Victoria, Australia
- Service Engineer - Almeria, Spain
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Italy: Tecnoplant is leader in the nursery sector"Investing in agriculture does involve a few risks, but my brothers and I managed to identify the needs of the professional nursery business and have become a point of reference for agriculture in central-south Sicily," explains Domenico Graci, agronomist and entrepreneur. His company Tecnoplant S.S. Vivaio was established in June 1996 and is a family business managed by brothers Paolo, Vincenzo and Domenico Graci (who is also the legal representative).
Above: grafting of a melon plantlet
The company grew quickly in an area where polytunnel and greenhouse cultivation is very popular and is now a leader in the nursery gardening sector in the Licata area. It holds the GlobalGAP certification and owns around three hectares, 1.6 of which are greenhouses for plantlets.
Above: Domenico Graci in the grafting area
An eye to production
Tecnoplant owns a grafted plant production system and only produces plantlets for the professional sector. It produces around 15 million plantlets every year, of which peppers are the most important (6 million). Next is courgettes (3.5 million), followed by melons (2.9 million, of which 1.9 million grafted), tomatoes (2 millions, of which 400 thousand grafted) and another 700 thousand other plants as cauliflowers, green beans, broccoli and fennel.
The company is currently making structural investments to improve production activities and grafting in particular.
The germination chamber. A Nuenda incubator can be seen in the background (cfr. FreshPlaza del 05/12/2016)
"We mainly focus on peppers, followed by tomatoes and courgettes. Melons are important too, considering that cantaloupes are very popular in the area. We produce around 1 million plants of the Proteo variety (photo above). It is very popular with Sicilian producers because it performs well from a commercial point of view."
Tecnoplant S.S. Vivaio
C/da Poggio Cuti Rizzo Snc
92027 Licata (AG) - Italia
Tel.: +39 3355841572
Fax: +39 0922 894516
Publication date: 1/12/2018
Other news in this sector: