Job offersmore »
- Account Manager, Southern, Protected Cropping - Melbourne, Australia
- Coördinator Biologische Gewasbescherming - Berkel en Rodenrijs, Nederland
- Head Grower, Retractable Roof Shadehouse - Wedgecarrup, Australia
- National Nursery Manager - Melbourne, Australia
- Lighting Applications Specialist (Horticulture) - Beamsville, Ontario, Canada
- Gärtner für den konventionellen Gemüsebau - Austria
- Expert vegetable farm manager/master grower seeking for his next position
- Horticulture Advisor - The Hague, the Netherlands
- Growing Manager - Victoria, Australia
- Service Engineer - Almeria, Spain
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
CAN (MB): Hydroponic garden serves up fresh greens in northern townFresh greens were a little easier to find in Churchill, Man., on Thursday as the first crop of veggies from a hydroponic garden went on sale.
The project, led by the independent, non-profit Churchill Northern Studies Centre, aims to improve food security in the town 1,000 kilometres north of Winnipeg, on the shore of Hudson Bay.
For months, Churchill had to fly in food after spring flood damage knocked out the rail line to the town, Churchill's only land link. Now, the Rocket Greens project has produced fresh lettuce, kale, bok choy and basil, for a price that's often cheaper than items at the grocery store, even after federal and provincial food subsidies are applied.
Read more at CBC News (Cameron MacLean)
Publication date: 1/5/2018
Other news in this sector: