Job offersmore »
- Account Manager European Countries
- Business Operations Manager - Guyra, Australia
- Export Commercial Assistant - Barcelona, Spain
- Farm Construction Manager - Phoenix (AZ) USA
- Lemon/Citrus Packing-house Manager - Phoenix (AZ) USA
- Account-Manager - Wickede/Ruhr, Germany
- Grower for pot plant production - Tönisvorst - Germany
- Assistant Grower & Growers - Ohio, USA
- Fruit & vegetables Export-Import manager - Avignon or Perpignan, France
- Area Manager North Europe - Netherlands
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
NL: Rijk Zwaan extends Trial Center Tomato with lit greenhouseThe Rijk Zwaan Trial Center Tomato in Kwintsheul (NL) has been extended with the addition of a 3,500 m2 greenhouse for lit tomato cultivation. By testing how 51 different tomato varieties perform under hybrid lighting, the vegetable breeding company is responding to the rising trend towards lit cultivation among growers worldwide. As of 2 January 2018, growers and other chain partners are welcome to visit the lit facility by appointment.
Following the addition of the extra 3,500 m2, the Trial Center Tomato now comprises 12,500 m2 in total. By opting for a combination of SON-T lighting (146 µmol) above the crop and LED lighting (75 µmol) in between the plants, Rijk Zwaan is keeping pace with both current and future developments in lighting technology.
Ideal plant density
Rijk Zwaan is closely monitoring the 51 tomato varieties in terms of the production process and yield, just as it does in all the trials at its Trial Center Tomato. “Among other things, we’re testing the ideal plant density in the case of hybrid lighting and gathering data about how to ensure our tomato varieties perform optimally under artificial lighting. We planted the lit greenhouse in mid-October and we harvested the first tomatoes in December,” comments Ben Zwinkels, Crop Coordinator Tomato.
For more information:
Publication date: 1/5/2018
Other news in this sector: