Job offersmore »
- Junior Productie Manager - Kenia
- Quality Assurance Quality Control - Canada
- Senior growers/agronomists - China
- Account Manager Foodservice en Groothandel DACH - Netherlands
- Business Development Manager - California
- Head of Sales North America - Sacramento (CA) USA
- Import Assistant and Operations Assistant - Netherlands
- Farms Director UK - South East
- Agronomist to work abroad
- Export salesperson GERMANY - Barcelona, Spain
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
US (FL): Organic growers cover heirloom tomatoesA handful of workers scrambled to cover the most delicate vegetable plants at Oakes Organic Farm in rural Collier County ahead of predictions for the coldest nights of the season.
Alfie Oakes, founder and CEO of Oakes Farms, decided to cover about 50 of his 3,000 acres of plantings. His crews spread out frost cloth at the 15-acre organic farm and a larger conventional one farther inland in Hendry County on Wednesday.
The unusual frigid weather prompted cold shelters to open up to residents and put growers on high alert across the region.
The frost protection at Oakes Organic Farm went on heirloom tomatoes and younger squash and cucumber plants, which just "can't take the cold," Oakes said.
Read more at Naples Daily News (Laura Layden)
Publication date: 1/5/2018
Other news in this sector: