Job offersmore »
- International Retail Manager - Netherlands
- Quality Assurance Team EA Region -Antwerp- Quality Supervisor, Belgium
- Manager Trucking Company - Azerbaijan
- Junior Productie Manager - Kenia
- (junior) Agronomist China
- Department Chair and Professor of Human Ecology - Davis (CA) USA
- Factory Manager Assistant - Huizhou, China
- Internal Salesperson - Netherlands
- Crop Manager - Northern France
- Farm General Manager - Egypt
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
- Klasmann-Deilmann takes over international distribution of Growcoon
- US: Patent for cooling method of electrical components in a geothermal well
- Netherlands: First well of geothermal doublet for ECW Andijk
- Soil to hydroponics: 50%-100%+ increase in tomato and pepper production
- Pythium root rot on hydroponically grown basil and spinach
Exchange ratesmore »
US (FL): Organic growers cover heirloom tomatoesA handful of workers scrambled to cover the most delicate vegetable plants at Oakes Organic Farm in rural Collier County ahead of predictions for the coldest nights of the season.
Alfie Oakes, founder and CEO of Oakes Farms, decided to cover about 50 of his 3,000 acres of plantings. His crews spread out frost cloth at the 15-acre organic farm and a larger conventional one farther inland in Hendry County on Wednesday.
The unusual frigid weather prompted cold shelters to open up to residents and put growers on high alert across the region.
The frost protection at Oakes Organic Farm went on heirloom tomatoes and younger squash and cucumber plants, which just "can't take the cold," Oakes said.
Read more at Naples Daily News (Laura Layden)
Publication date: 1/5/2018
Other news in this sector: