Job offersmore »
- Account Manager Foodservice en Groothandel DACH - Netherlands
- Business Development Manager - California
- Head of Sales North America - Sacramento (CA) USA
- Import Assistant and Operations Assistant - Netherlands
- Farms Director UK - South East
- Agronomist to work abroad
- Export salesperson GERMANY - Barcelona, Spain
- Account Manager Zachtfruit Scandinavië en Duitsland - Netherlands
- International Editor
- Experienced tomato grower - Angola
Top 5 - yesterday
- "Vine-ripened tomatoes are a very neat sales gimmick"
- US: Controlled environment agriculture experiencing rapid growth
- CAN (NB): Extreme flood causes plants in nursery to swim
- New sensors and forecasting algorithms for smart agriculture
- "The reintroduction of industrial hemp is in full swing worldwide"
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Shanty tomato advances Ethiopian agricultureHazera has successfully introduced the hybrid Shanty tomato to Ethiopia, impacting the lives of rural farmers. Thanks to a project spearheaded by Hazera's Commercial Director in Africa, Mr. Jawdat Badawieh, hybrid seeds for the Shanty tomato were distributed in several Ethiopian villages. With close guidance from the Hazera team, the farmers were able to grow these vegetables - initially for their own consumption and subsequently for generating income by selling the produce.
Jawdat Badawieh of Hazera
Hazera breeds, develops, produces and markets seeds for a wide range of vegetable and field crops grown around the world. Combining decades of experience with cutting-edge technology, Hazera’s breeders and scientists create top-quality, high-yielding varieties and tailor them to meet the farming conditions and marketing requirements of customers worldwide.
In Africa, the company’s hybrid seed marketing focuses on onions (with Neptune and Russet as the leading varieties) and tomatoes (Shanty and Galilea). Watermelons, cabbages and peppers are also in the pipeline.
The success of the project is reflected in the phrase commonly used by rural farmers in Ethiopia: ''Life before and after the Shanty,” which describes the huge change in their lives since they started growing Shanty tomatoes.
“Beyond providing our customers with hybrid seeds for healthier, hardier crops, Hazera also delivers much needed support,” said Mr. Badawieh. “For example, Hazera helped Ethiopian farmers obtain a water pump and fertilizers, further contributing to a significant change in their lives.”
For more information:
Tel: +972 8850 8815
Fax: +972 8850 2442
Publication date: 1/4/2018
Other news in this sector: