Job offersmore »
- Department Chair and Professor of Human Ecology - Davis (CA) USA
- Factory Manager Assistant - Huizhou, China
- Internal Salesperson - Netherlands
- Crop Manager - Northern France
- Farm General Manager - Egypt
- Grower (cucumbers) - Australia
- Projectleider Export - Maasdijk, Nederland
- Sales representative - Eastern PA, DE, MD, VA & WV, USA
- Sales representative - Michigan, USA
- Assistant Grower - Delta (BC), Canada
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news has been published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
- Klasmann-Deilmann takes over international distribution of Growcoon
- "Easier to clean and lasting longer than polystyrene"
- US: Patent for cooling method of electrical components in a geothermal well
- Netherlands: First well of geothermal doublet for ECW Andijk
- Soil to hydroponics: 50%-100%+ increase in tomato and pepper production
Exchange ratesmore »
Shanty tomato advances Ethiopian agricultureHazera has successfully introduced the hybrid Shanty tomato to Ethiopia, impacting the lives of rural farmers. Thanks to a project spearheaded by Hazera's Commercial Director in Africa, Mr. Jawdat Badawieh, hybrid seeds for the Shanty tomato were distributed in several Ethiopian villages. With close guidance from the Hazera team, the farmers were able to grow these vegetables - initially for their own consumption and subsequently for generating income by selling the produce.
Jawdat Badawieh of Hazera
Hazera breeds, develops, produces and markets seeds for a wide range of vegetable and field crops grown around the world. Combining decades of experience with cutting-edge technology, Hazera’s breeders and scientists create top-quality, high-yielding varieties and tailor them to meet the farming conditions and marketing requirements of customers worldwide.
In Africa, the company’s hybrid seed marketing focuses on onions (with Neptune and Russet as the leading varieties) and tomatoes (Shanty and Galilea). Watermelons, cabbages and peppers are also in the pipeline.
The success of the project is reflected in the phrase commonly used by rural farmers in Ethiopia: ''Life before and after the Shanty,” which describes the huge change in their lives since they started growing Shanty tomatoes.
“Beyond providing our customers with hybrid seeds for healthier, hardier crops, Hazera also delivers much needed support,” said Mr. Badawieh. “For example, Hazera helped Ethiopian farmers obtain a water pump and fertilizers, further contributing to a significant change in their lives.”
For more information:
Tel: +972 8850 8815
Fax: +972 8850 2442
Publication date: 1/4/2018
Other news in this sector: