- Product Manager / Concept Manager - Verspakketten - Ridderkerk
- District sales manager - British Columbia and Alberta, Canada
- Grower - Carlisle, Pa. USA
- Account Manager - Melbourne, Australia
- Grower - Australia
- Director of Marketing & Communications - Summerland (BC), Canada
- Lead Auditor
- Quality Assurance Team EA Region - Antwerp - Quality Assurance Supervisor
- Medior Sales Engineer - Netherlands
- General Manager Australia
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last month
- UK: Air movement in horticulture
- US: Fredericton sees giant 1,808-pound pumpkin
- US: Commodities primarily sourced domestically face lowest compliance costs for Produce Rule
- University of Florida reasearchers hopes to fight prevalent tomato Disease
- Russia: High-tech greenhouse complex opened in Rostov region
Top 5 -last week
US: T.O. Plastics expands line of square pots
The large square plant pots have a two-quart soil capacity, with nine bi-level drain holes strategically placed to aid drainage. Enhanced drainage was a specific concern among the growers that T.O. Plastics spoke with while designing the new pots and carry trays, said Doug Laubenstein, the company's National Sales and Strategic Business Development Manager.
"We asked 'how can we make this better for you?' and they responded with two specific requests, the first one being better drainage," he said. "The greater soil capacity of larger pots retains moisture, which impedes plant growth."
Excess moisture prevents oxygen from reaching plant roots, leading to poor plant health, and encourages root rot and other diseases that further prevent the plant from developing properly.
To overcome those challenges, T.O. Plastics Product Design Engineers Scott Klein and Warren Sowers designed an array of raised and lowered drainage slots in the pots themselves and incorporated significant advancements into the two-quart, 5.5'' square pot carry trays.
"The trays are the key," Laubenstein said. "We built in a ridge along the inside bottom of the tray to allow the pots to sit above water as it drains out. We also increased the height of the tray bottom and incorporated holes there that not only allow water to drain quickly but also allow air to reach the plant pots and help the soil properly dry down."
With a raised divider down the center for added stability, the square pot carry trays are equipped to hold up to 35 pounds' worth of pots and soil. Innovative automation grooves on the bottom of the tray allow growers to employ multi-tray handling.
"The growers' second request was for a sturdy tag slot to allow for efficient labeling and uniform alignment for merchandising," Laubenstein said. "Our two-quart, 5.5'' square is one of the first thermoformed square pots to successfully incorporate an integrated tag slot on all four sides."
"The inherent thinness of thermoformed plastics previously made creating an integrated slot difficult, but T.O. Plastics' team found a way to engineer around that challenge," he said.
"The new square plant pots were designed specifically for perennial and woody ornamental growers and berry producers but are well-suited for other uses in the greenhouse and nursery industries," Laubenstein said. "The two-quart, 5.5'' square appeals to a broad market."
T.O. is accepting pre-orders for February 2018.
For more information:
Publication date :
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 10/19/2018 New intermediate bulk container offers logistics solution
- 10/18/2018 'Great development potential for Chicarita novelty lettuce''
- 10/18/2018 Greenhouse grown strawberries with chocolate flavored dip at Fresh Summit
- 10/18/2018 Greenhouse tomato grower to introduce new vegetable products
- 10/18/2018 Spain: Alcampo introduces floating live lettuce
- 10/17/2018 “First Italian, wild spinach arrives after difficult summer”
- 10/17/2018 New foldable intermediate bulk container presented
- 10/15/2018 AU: "Kumato proving to be a major hit with consumers"
- 10/12/2018 "One-bite is a healthy, convenient alternative when hunger pangs strike"
- 10/11/2018 Emerson releases GO Real-Time Secure Tracker
- 10/10/2018 Adelita, the 'made in South' raspberries available from November to June
- 10/10/2018 How Kenyan tomato farmers can avoid heavy losses
- 10/05/2018 US (NH): A fresh new take on standard spring mixes
- 10/04/2018 US (TX): Festival Strawberry latest Texas Superstar release
- 10/03/2018 Cold chain monitoring solution for fruit & vegetable transport
- 10/03/2018 "Bluesbrother RZ shines in production and quality"
- 10/03/2018 Modiform expands paperpot tray assortment
- 09/26/2018 Dramm includes QR code to scan for manuals, videos, FAQs and service
- 09/25/2018 New tray prevents root circling
- 09/20/2018 New 10-litre pot for raspberries, blackberries and blueberries