Job offersmore »
- Plant Specialist - Melbourne, Australia
- General Manager European Region - Bologna, Italy
- Einkaufsverantwortlicher / Kundenbetreuer - Die Schweiz
- Continuous Improvement Specialist - Berkel en Rodenrijs, Nederland
- Innovation Leader - Johnston (Iowa), USA
- VP of Sales - Montreal, Canada
- IPM Consultant - Adelaide Plains, Australia
- National Nursery Manager - Australia
- Substrate Grower - Launceston CBD, Tasmania
- Product manager for growing media - Finland or Estonia
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news has been published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
- US (AZ): The future of farming takes root
- Retractable roof helps AU greenhouse function with extremely low energy costs
- US: Regulatory barriers to developing innovative agricultural biotechnology
- Over 9 million views for this hydroponic lettuce video
- Ultra-thin MA film seeks to revolutionize packaging
Exchange ratesmore »
UK: TGA welcomes a new Chairman and Vice ChairmanThe British Tomato Growers' Association now has a new Chairman and Vice Chairman. The new Chairman is Matthew Simon, the Head of Technical and General Manager for Glinwell plc and Vice Chairman, Brendan Gillow from Flavourfresh.
Matthew Simon (Chairman)
"I started having an interest in horticulture from a young age helping out on the family smallholding. Moving from there to Writtle college for an ND and HND at the end of my school years specialising in Commercial Horticulture. After Writtle I joined Hazelwood VHB at Hern Hill and started my career in tomatoes, 5 years later after having worked also in Portugal and at Runcton I left VHB and to be closer to my family and worked another 5 years with imported exotic vegetables at Flamingo UK. Returning to tomatoes in 2004 with a wonderful opportunity that arose at Glinwell. It was a joy to be able to return to a genuine love of Glasshouse production, and work for and with people that had a real passion for it. Having progressed with the company over the years and developed alongside as we went from strength to strength. To end up in a role I would have never dreamed of when I started on my journey."
Brendan Gillow (Vice chairman)
"I graduated from Coventry Polytechnic in 1985 and after a short dalliance with teaching joined L.O. Jeffs working as a picker at the Melrow Nursery. It was meant to be a summer job but as it happened, I never left. After managing both Abrams and Melrow Nurseries I ended up as Operations Manager, looking after the post production side of the business. Melrow Nursery, under the auspices of Bernard Sparkes, has produced a number of office holders in the BTGA over the years. Adrian Williams, Nigel Bartle, Mick Fradsham and last but no means least, Bernard Sparkes. I have some big footsteps in which to follow and I will endeavour to do the best of my ability. I’m looking forward to the year ahead and to meeting as many new faces as possible. We have both exciting and uncertain times ahead which only increases the need to work together under the banner of British Tomato Growers Association."
For more information:
British Tomato Growers Association
Publication date: 12/20/2017
Other news in this sector: