Job offersmore »
- Engineer support in agricultural sciences - Switzerland
- Farm Manager - Perth, Western Australia
- Expansion manager
- Horticultural Specialist - Emeryville (CA) USA
- Sales Manager Europe Division
- Grower - Delta, (OH) USA
- Export Sales - Perth, Australia
- Production Manager Indonesia - Magelang/Central Java, Indonesia
- Director ASIA Research Station Operations - Bangkok, Thailand
- Spécialiste Technique et commercial Biocontrôle pour l’Ouest de la France
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news has been published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
"Turkey is ready for Double Layer growbags now"
For many years growers in Turkey use coir growbags. "Last week we got informed that suppliers of inferior qualities have left the market", Wim Roosen says. "The demand for good quality is clear after disappointing (or none) deliveries. Growers see the opportunities with our Double Layer growbags."
Growers have been successfully growing on substrates for decades. From the nineties onwards, coir-based growbags were introduced in Holland by several manufacturers, with varying success. "At first, there were issues with the lifespan of the plastic, and the coir bags were considered too wet. However, the Sri Lankan and Indian plastics industry improved the quality of the plastic and increased its reliability. It is now possible to guarantee the lifespan of the plastic for years to come. Recent product developments have also made growbags coarser and airier", Wim explains.
A couple of years ago Dutch Plantin developed a new generation of Double Layer growbags, with coarse coco pith on top (for fast taking of the crop and a perfect horizontal rooting) and coco chips on the bottom (for uniform and easy drainage). They are now able to ensure even more air (or ‘less water’) at the bottom of the bag than at the top. Plants perform better on such generative substrate, and the other way around. "In the beginning, growers often focus on price only. When a market develops more and more, the choice for quality is made since this gives a higher ROI in the end."
Other news in this sector: