Job offersmore »
- Senior Banana Ripener - Swords, North County Dublin
- Senior Manager, Technical Advisory and Category Management - Vantaa Finland
- Junior Trader Europe Division - Europe
- Account Manager, Southern, Protected Cropping - Melbourne, Australia
- Coördinator Biologische Gewasbescherming - Berkel en Rodenrijs, Nederland
- Head Grower, Retractable Roof Shadehouse - Wedgecarrup, Australia
- National Nursery Manager - Melbourne, Australia
- Lighting Applications Specialist (Horticulture) - Beamsville, Ontario, Canada
- Gärtner für den konventionellen Gemüsebau - Austria
- Expert vegetable farm manager/master grower seeking for his next position
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
UK: Snowbergines to hit Waitrose shelvesSnow is set to fall in the UK, and it could be the year the country wakes up to a white Christmas. To follow suit shoppers stocking up for the festive season will also find snow at Waitrose, in the form of ‘snowbergines’, the nickname given to the white aubergines, which are available on the supermarket's shelves throughout December.
The white aubergines are similar in shape to the regular purple variety, but are creamier and milder in taste, giving them a wonderful capacity to take on other flavours including festive spices or cheese, according to Waitrose.
They absorb less moisture when cooking than purple aubergines, meaning they soak up less oil, resulting in a lower calorie dish.
Gemma Hodgson, Waitrose Vegetable Buyer, comments, “It's the perfect time of year to have this festive looking aubergine on our shelves and we expect them to be a hit with our customers over the Christmas holiday. It's such a fun vegetable that can be used to liven up seasonal meal times.
Aubergines are extremely popular at this time of year, being used in bakes, tagines or casseroles and our snowbergine makes the perfect snowman on a plate for kids."
Early varieties of aubergine were traditionally white skinned, which coined the name 'eggplant' in America, as they resembled goose eggs. White aubergines have the same familiar shape but are slightly smaller than the most common variety and are best served roasted or grilled.
White aubergines are on sale at Waitrose shops nationwide at £1.35 each.
For more information:
Tel: +44 0207 287 5006
Publication date: 12/13/2017
Other news in this sector: