Job offersmore »
- Account Manager, Southern, Protected Cropping - Melbourne, Australia
- Coördinator Biologische Gewasbescherming - Berkel en Rodenrijs, Nederland
- Head Grower, Retractable Roof Shadehouse - Wedgecarrup, Australia
- National Nursery Manager - Melbourne, Australia
- Lighting Applications Specialist (Horticulture) - Beamsville, Ontario, Canada
- Gärtner für den konventionellen Gemüsebau - Austria
- Expert vegetable farm manager/master grower seeking for his next position
- Horticulture Advisor - The Hague, the Netherlands
- Growing Manager - Victoria, Australia
- Service Engineer - Almeria, Spain
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news has been published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
APM launches refrigerated truck transport
Cold chain solutions for Nigerian farmers
APM Terminals, in conjunction with Naija Pride and several international development groups, is working on cold chain transportation alternatives for farmers in the agricultural centres of northern Nigeria. The aim is to bring fresh produce intact and unspoiled to market centres in Lagos. An estimated 15 million metric tons of Nigerian-grown perishable goods, including onions, potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, okra, ginger and carrots, are lost annually due to poor infrastructure and high transportation costs. Investments by APM Terminals in cold chain transportation is demonstrating ways to reduce post-harvest losses and extend the shelf life of fresh produce.
According to a ajot.com article, as much as half of Nigeria’s domestic tomato crop of 1.8 million metric tons does not get to market due to spoilage or damage during transportation. This is because they are packed traditionally in woven raffia baskets and are moved by truck.
But on December 1st, the first trial shipment of 18.6 metric tons of fresh tomatoes were loaded into a refrigerated container for the 1,045 km trip from Dutsen Wai to Lagos. In the controlled environment both heat spoilage and bruising damage from cargo shifting during transport were eliminated. The entire truckload arrived intact and was ready for sale.
Publication date: 12/13/2017
Other news in this sector: