Job offersmore »
- Account Manager, Southern, Protected Cropping - Melbourne, Australia
- Coördinator Biologische Gewasbescherming - Berkel en Rodenrijs, Nederland
- Head Grower, Retractable Roof Shadehouse - Wedgecarrup, Australia
- National Nursery Manager - Melbourne, Australia
- Lighting Applications Specialist (Horticulture) - Beamsville, Ontario, Canada
- Gärtner für den konventionellen Gemüsebau - Austria
- Expert vegetable farm manager/master grower seeking for his next position
- Horticulture Advisor - The Hague, the Netherlands
- Growing Manager - Victoria, Australia
- Service Engineer - Almeria, Spain
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news has been published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
US: Georgian Peach farm to expand offering with strawberries next spring
Dickey Farms, which has been growing peaches in Middle Georgia for more than 120 years, will have a new fruit available next spring.
More than 22,000 strawberry plants have been planted on about 1 1/2 acres at the Musella farm, said Robert “Lee” Dickey IV.
“We expect strawberries to begin ripening in late March, early April depending on the weather,” he said. “Strawberries will be available for U-pick and will be available pre-picked in our market. We planted three varieties with Camerosa being the largest.”
Robert Dickey, Lee’s father, said the strawberries were planted this summer beside the peach packing house.
“We’re trying to expand our market and our agritourism part of our business,” he said. “It’s pretty much been strictly peaches.”
Unlike peach trees, strawberries have to be planted every year and Dickey said they’ve had to learn a lot about the process.
“We think it fits in really well with the rest of the business,” he said. “We’ll get an early start on our peach season with visitors out here on the farm.”
Of course, this time of year, Dickey Farm sells pecans — some from its own land and some from other Fort Valley growers — as well as gift items, such as jelly, jams and gift boxes.
Publication date: 11/29/2017
Other news in this sector: