Job offersmore »
- Account Manager, Southern, Protected Cropping - Melbourne, Australia
- Coördinator Biologische Gewasbescherming - Berkel en Rodenrijs, Nederland
- Head Grower, Retractable Roof Shadehouse - Wedgecarrup, Australia
- National Nursery Manager - Melbourne, Australia
- Lighting Applications Specialist (Horticulture) - Beamsville, Ontario, Canada
- Gärtner für den konventionellen Gemüsebau - Austria
- Expert vegetable farm manager/master grower seeking for his next position
- Horticulture Advisor - The Hague, the Netherlands
- Growing Manager - Victoria, Australia
- Service Engineer - Almeria, Spain
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news has been published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
US (OH): A look beyond the glass at NatureFresh FarmsOn Wednesday, November 15th & Thursday, November 16th NatureFresh Farms opened their doors to the community for their first ever Open House.
“The Ohio community has been extremely supportive throughout the entire build and we have continuously received many inquiries from our neighbors wanting a chance to take a look behind the glass” explained John Ketler, General Manager. “Education is a key component of who we are and we wanted to ensure that our neighbors had a chance to see exactly how we grow; from seedling to harvest.”
Within days of the registration going live, there was more interest than hours available in the day as well over 1000 people registered to tour the facility. The team had originally planned on the event lasting one day, however, had to extend the tour to two days in order to accommodate all those interested.
“For us, it’s more than just existing in Delta. We want to be an active partner in the community. It is important for us to show our neighbors how we grow and provide total transparency,” commented Peter Quiring, President and CEO. “We had school groups, senior homes, care facilities, farming clubs, and many families come out. It was great to be able to show everyone exactly where the produce they have sitting on their kitchen table comes from”. With interactive sessions the team was able to give individuals a firsthand understanding of greenhouse growing techniques such as the Integrated Pest Management (IPM) system & the growing medium.
The company operates on a mantra that was coined by Peter Quiring “We don’t just grow produce, we grow people”. In that spirit, NatureFresh partnered with JJ Safe House and Open Doors Delta to raise awareness and funds for the local charities. With produce being sold for $2 an item, approximately $2000 was raised in addition to over 3000 lbs of produce being donated to the charities to help support local families having a healthier and happier Thanksgiving.
“The feedback we received after the event was phenomenal,” said Ketler. “The community was amazed by everything from the scope and technology incorporated in the facility to the flavor of the tomatoes. Overall, we couldn’t have asked for a better event.”
For more information:
Publication date: 11/20/2017
Other news in this sector: