Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last month
Top 5 -last week
US (CO): A look into UCCS Aquaponics
At the UCCS Farm, the demonstration-scale aquaponics system grows a variety of produce. The aquaponics farm has been in place since June 2016, and the team is looking for more helping hands to expand the operation and ensure success.
“The aquaponics (system) so far this year has produced 49.86 pounds of produce to include peppers, heirloom tomatoes and herbs,” said Holly Vergunst, a graduate student who works at the farm.
A variety of produce is possible to grow depending on the season since the greenhouse isn’t heated. During the summer months, tomatoes, herbs and cucumbers thrive while the winter brings salad crops like lettuces, broccoli, chives, kale and chard.
The 16-square foot farm is an example of what can be done, and the farm team hopes to increase interest in their operations and potentially increase their output in the future.
The team uses the small size of the aquaponics farm to mitigate losses while learning the new system. The operation is running smoothly but has had its learning moments.
When parts of the aquaponics system fails, a chain reaction can occur. A problem with the piping led to a water leak forcing a restart of the bacterial colonies. The bacteria change shocked the fish and led to a loss of nitrogen in the system causing issues for the plants.
After overcoming this challenge, the group at the farm feels more confident than before. They hope to use their gained knowledge and skills to expand but note that it takes a steady and abundant volunteer base to do so.
Read more at The Scribe (Erick Spong)
Publication date :
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 09/18/2018 US: Groups ask Congress to support urban/innovative farms
- 09/18/2018 Brexit food security: An opportunity for vertical farming?
- 09/18/2018 CAN (QC): 2,000 square feet of gardens to be added to school
- 09/17/2018 US (GA): Hydroponic lettuce on the school lunch line
- 09/17/2018 Building the sustainable cities of the future
- 09/17/2018 Gotham Greens
- 09/14/2018 A farm on a shelf
- 09/13/2018 CAN (SK): Opportunities grow for Creighton container garden
- 09/13/2018 Container farm producer now also supplies farmers
- 09/12/2018 "Vertical farming sounds fantastic until you consider its energy use"
- 09/11/2018 Growing crops with roots in the mist
- 09/11/2018 US (GA): Campus dining uses produce grown in its greenhouse
- 09/11/2018 US (GA): $5 million to help reduce energy costs of indoor farming
- 09/10/2018 Malaysia: City dwellers grow veggies at home without soil
- 09/06/2018 Is urban farming economically feasible or is it a recipe for a financial failure?
- 09/06/2018 How the right sales channel can make or break your vertical farm
- 09/05/2018 "New responses to the way we grow food are a must to respond to the challenges of the future."
- 09/05/2018 US (PA): Plans advancing for greenhouse in former garage
- 09/04/2018 "We want to supply Amsterdam with locally grown food"
- 09/03/2018 South-Korea: As temperatures rise, farmers plant crops in tunnel